Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

paris-toulose via train

paris-toulose via train

Old Aug 12, 04, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

train info for france

i'm posting for a friend who's going to be visiting france later this month.

(1) paris-toulose: she's looking for train info for paris-toulose. she'll flies into paris early in the morning and hopes to spend the day there b4 taking the overnight train to toulose (if there's one). she's having problems getting train schedules, reserving tickets etc online. also, she's not in europe, and was wondering if she could reserve tickets online.

(2) marseilles-rome: she also needs a 1way from marseilles to rome, and couldnt find info abt that too. i think she'd prefer an overnight train.

any help will be appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by saimike; Aug 12, 04 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 12, 04, 1:58 pm

The best site to find European train connections is www.bahn.de (which is the site of the German National Railways). Click on "international guests" to get to the English version.

You can't book French/Italian journeys online on the German site, but I know French Railways have an online booking facility - www.sncf.com
Old Aug 12, 04, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the pointers!

she found her paris-toulose info on sncf.com but couldnt find anything for her marseilles-rome trip there.

also, it seems that u can book/pay for her ticket on sncf.com but it doesnt seem that one can receive the tickets via mail or printed out over the internet -- ie. one needs to pick them up in person (at the train station i suppose). does anyone know if thats the way it works?

ps. there doesnt seem to be prices on the bahn.de site?

Last edited by saimike; Aug 12, 04 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 12, 04, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by saimike
thanks for the pointers!

she found her paris-toulose info on sncf.com but couldnt find anything for her marseilles-rome trip there.

also, it seems that u can book/pay for her ticket on sncf.com but it doesnt seem that one can receive the tickets via mail or printed out over the internet -- ie. one needs to pick them up in person (at the train station i suppose). does anyone know if thats the way it works?

ps. there doesnt seem to be prices on the bahn.de site?
The SNCF site indicates that it allows you to print the ticket. If you go into the voyages screen, there is a button to get into a print area. I have not used it, but assume that it works.
Old Aug 12, 04, 3:22 pm

There appears to be no direct train between Marseilles and Rome.

The shortest way would be to catch one across the border in Ventimiglia. However I don't see any sleeper trains on this route.

The nearest one plies the Torino-Roma route, with Genova the stop closest to Marseilles.

Regarding the pickup of SNCF tickets ordered online, a search on various forums (Europe, Air France, TravelBuzz come to mind) should yield a number of tips.
Old Aug 12, 04, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by monahos
There appears to be no direct train between Marseilles and Rome.

The shortest way would be to catch one across the border in Ventimiglia. However I don't see any sleeper trains on this route.

The nearest one plies the Torino-Roma route, with Genova the stop closest to Marseilles.

Regarding the pickup of SNCF tickets ordered online, a search on various forums (Europe, Air France, TravelBuzz come to mind) should yield a number of tips.
There's a train every night from Nice to Rome (via Ventimiglia), with sleeping cars, leaving Nice at 20:25 and arriving at Rome at 6:48. The connecting train leaves Marseille at 16:52 and arrives in Nice at 19:15.
Old Aug 12, 04, 9:30 pm

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
is your friend sure she wants to take the train, there are easyjet flights every day for ory, or "la navette" by AF which leaves every 1/2 hour.
I have never taken the train paris-toulouse, for the simple reason that there is no TGV line. Paris-Bordeaux is another thing and I don't mind it. but Paris-Toulouse by train is just horrible.
if your friend need some advice about what to see in Tlse, send me a pm, I lived there 8 years, and I have a lot of my family who lives in Tlse. I jsut love that town.
Old Aug 13, 04, 3:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by synd
is your friend sure she wants to take the train, there are easyjet flights every day for ory, or "la navette" by AF which leaves every 1/2 hour.
I have never taken the train paris-toulouse, for the simple reason that there is no TGV line. Paris-Bordeaux is another thing and I don't mind it. but Paris-Toulouse by train is just horrible.
if your friend need some advice about what to see in Tlse, send me a pm, I lived there 8 years, and I have a lot of my family who lives in Tlse. I jsut love that town.
- there are AF flights from CDG to TLS as well
- some TGVs depart from Paris Montparnasse and reach Toulouse via Bordeaux. Travel time is about 5h10mn
Old Aug 13, 04, 5:24 am

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
Jouy,
there are three problems I find with CDG flights to TLS
- they tend to cost more than the Navette from ORY
- they operate much less frequently than from ORY
- CDG is a little bit farther away from Paris than ORY,
thanks to the Orly Val you get to the airport in less time.

Second with the TGV from Montparnasse to Matabiau, the railway from Bordeaux to Toulouse is not up to TGV standards. Therefore the speed will be the same as a regular train Corail.
Old Aug 13, 04, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I flew EasyJet from TLS to ORY a few weeks ago for $60 one-way. Sure beats over five hours on the train.
Old Aug 13, 04, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies everyone!

my friend followed up on the nice-rome sleeper train route but couldnt seem to find pricing info. any ideas?

also, anyone with comments on flying from nice-paris-rome? would this be a better idea than taking the nice-rome sleeper?
Old Aug 13, 04, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synd
thanks for the offer, YGPM.
Old Aug 16, 04, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

after booking the train tickets, my friend received an email stating that a PIN (supposedly credit card PIN) is required to pick up the ticket from the counter or the machine. does this sound right? i thought one only needs a PIN to use the credit card for a cash advance ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: