Search

Time to get from Schipol to AMS train station

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ha! Aviatrix wins the 'who can provide the most useful information' contest
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
From a British p.o.v., where our timetables are a bit like Rome's traffic lights...merely 'suggestions'....I find it hilarious that the Germans can tell you which platform your train will be leaving from!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:40 pm

In most of Continental Europe the platform is part of the timetable - unlike here in the UK where platforms are treated like airport gates and are allocated on a day-to-day basis. Platforms are included in printed timetables pinned up on station walls, and in brochures given to travellers. It's always been like that - or at least, it's been like that for as long as I can remember, which is nearly 30 years (I did my first Interrail trip in early 1975)
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
In most of Continental Europe the platform is part of the timetable - unlike here in the UK where platforms are treated like airport gates and are allocated on a day-to-day basis. Platforms are included in printed timetables pinned up on station walls, and in brochures given to travellers. It's always been like that - or at least, it's been like that for as long as I can remember, which is nearly 30 years (I did my first Interrail trip in early 1975)
Which is a great thing, I'm not very "awake" in the mornings and the only reliable way of getting to my office was to KNOW that the train waiting for me is the right one
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The 1857 train from Schiphol to Duivendrecht departs from Platform 2. The one at 1940 departs from Platform 1. Onward connection to Cologne in both cases is from Platform 8. (Where would be without www.bahn.de??)
I second that!! www.bahn.de is WONDERFUL. I'm English, Live in London and I use it to plan my UK journeys with - as well as all my European ones. It's SO much better and more accurate than the awful British Rail interactive timetable.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:30 pm

I second that , it is indeed excellent.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Rather than start a new thread, since my question is tangential:

If arriving at AMS at 6:55am from IAD - will I have enough time to make a 9am meeting at Hoofddorp (which I'm told is 5 minutes away from Schipol)?

Is there enough time to clear immigration (I hold a US passport), clear customs and jump into a taxi? I will not have checked baggage.

The problem I am facing is every flight I am researching leaves the East Coast of the US in the evening and gets into AMS (directly or indirectly) in the early AM. I do not want to spend an entire day in AMS getting in the day before the meeting.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:16 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
This shoud not be a problem. Customs is usually very quick, unless you are the last person off of the plane or unless another plane has gotten if shortly before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.