Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Basel to Milan train- how scenic?

Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PrmEx

Obviously this passes through the Swiss Alps. I'm hoping that I can wrap up a meeting in time to get a 3pm train out of Basel to have some daylight.

Anyone know how scenic this route is (or is it filled with tunnels) and if they offer panorama cars? Might use up an SD card on this one.....
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH FTL
I did this trip a few years ago and it´s definately worth it. Great scenery and a whole lot of spectacular tunnels, bridges....
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Arrow Basel - Milano

no Panoramic cars (like the Golden Pass panoramic trains from/to Montreux-Interlaken-Lucerne). Equipment is variabel (might have some italian cars integrated in the train composition).

For sighseeing alone, while still partially filled with great scenery, there are better train routings in Switzerland.

But Milano itself is defenetly worth any trip.

All trains running show here
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by Rudi
no Panoramic cars (like the Golden Pass panoramic trains from/to Montreux-Interlaken-Lucerne). Equipment is variabel (might have some italian cars integrated in the train composition).

For sighseeing alone, while still partially filled with great scenery, there are better train routings in Switzerland.

But Milano itself is defenetly worth any trip.

All trains running show here
Rudi said it all. If you are looking for scenery, there are much better train trips ... much.

But that's just because Switzerland has such spectacular scenery! Basel to Milano is still a nice trip and your eyes will find pleasant sights out the windows.

One tip. The food is expensive and not good at all. Bring your own.

Mrs.T49 and I did it in March and will do it again in November.

Best wishes,
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:44 pm

There are two routes from Basel to Milan, one via the Gotthard and one via the Loetschberg route. Both are absolutely beautiful, and it's difficult to choose between the spiral tunnels on the Gotthard and the approach to Brig on the Loetschberg. On the Gotthard there are observation cars from Basel to Milan (first class), but the train leaves Basel at 9:10 a.m. On the Loetschberg route you can leave Basel at 4:04 p.m. in an observation car (first class, going to Interlaken) and get to Milan at 11:00 p.m., but that's with several changes of train. Scheduling is much easier - and travel faster - if you could manage without the observation car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.