Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much of a stickler are airlines with the size of carry-on luggage restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much of a stickler are airlines with the size of carry-on luggage restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I have two same-size bags that each should be very near (if not, just a little larger than) the maximum size for carry-on bags.

I have read that the second carry-on piece is considered a "personal item" such as a briefcase.

Do you think they will make me check-in one piece, both, or none?
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
What airline?

What airline are you flying? If you're flying an airline like Lufthansa (LH), fughet-aboutit... they are more than strict on carry-on size.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
What airline are you flying? If you're flying an airline like Lufthansa (LH), fughet-aboutit... they are more than strict on carry-on size.
I'm flying United Air, American Air, and US Air (operated by Caribbean Sun Airlines).
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Check your airline restrictions

The restrictions may vary from airline to airline & sometimes country to country.
For example this is what United defines as a personal item:
one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop computer

Under these rules, your 2nd bag would not qualify as a "personal item".
But, as always YMMV.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There was another post about this recently, but I'm not sure which forum. More than the airline, it's been TSA that has become a stickler about the carry on limitations telling you it's too much before you even try to get on the plane. I've had that when I carry my purse (a VERY small purse), briefcase and rollerboard. Oftentimes, I'm told to put my purse in the bag or they're stopping me for having too much stuff .... if you do try to get through, make sure you have plenty of time in case you are stopped. You'd have to wait in line for the gate agent to check the bag and again at security, at some airports that could be close to an hour alone. These days, I'd just check it and hope for the best.

Good Luck.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GoingAway
There was another post about this recently, but I'm not sure which forum...
You may be referring to a couple of posts in the very long thread about nearly-free tickets to Iceland in June. I posted that I had been to Iceland recently (I forget what the exact context was, it doesn't matter) and someone asked about Icelandair's policy in this regard. I replied that my travel companion and I had a standard-size roll-aboard and a small (book-bag size) backpack each and had no trouble carrying them both on, even though the plane was packed and, it being mid-January, everyone had bulky warm clothing as well.

Or, you may be referring to something else.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I found it ...

Originally Posted by Efrem
You may be referring to a couple of posts in the very long thread about nearly-free tickets to Iceland in June. I posted that I had been to Iceland recently (I forget what the exact context was, it doesn't matter) and someone asked about Icelandair's policy in this regard. I replied that my travel companion and I had a standard-size roll-aboard and a small (book-bag size) backpack each and had no trouble carrying them both on, even though the plane was packed and, it being mid-January, everyone had bulky warm clothing as well.

Or, you may be referring to something else.
I didn't think it was in the KEF thread, I really haven't looked at it in awhile and its gotten so large. The thread I was referring to was in the UA forum and can be found here.

Cheers
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:44 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Two weeks ago I was flying BA LGW-NAP, in the BA forum I was warned about how strict BA is about their 13 lb carry on rule. My bag (which I did weigh before I left my house) came in at just under 20 lbs. Needless to say I was sweating it out prior to checking in for my flights--- but I worried for naught. Both flights were packed, yet no one either at check in or on board said anything other than the usual 'will you be checking any luggage', to which I replied "no".
On the other hand, I think UA used to (or still does) use those templates for screening luggage which only allow a certain size bag to fit through. If that is to be a problem, try going to another airlines security area that is template free.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:12 pm

Caribbean Sun

Originally Posted by rnmcd
I'm flying United Air, American Air, and US Air (operated by Caribbean Sun Airlines).
Caribbean Sun's fleet are all Dash 8 turboprops according to their website so I would guess you might have to check both bags there.

http://www.flycsa.com/index.cfm?pgType=about
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

We have deleted two posts today which have been made to this 9-year old thread. FlyerTalk Rules caution against bumping up old threads because the information is often unreliable and this thread illustrates the wisdom of that rule. Thread closed, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.