Wiki Posts
Search

Need to go to Maine on Saturday---looking for a very inexensive hotel room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Need to go to Maine on Saturday---looking for a very inexensive hotel room

I have the chance to be in the Portland vicinity this coming Saturday night and Sunday yet I can't spend more than $60 on a hotel room. Anything but Motel 6. I've gone through Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and various hotel sites but got nowhere quickly. Does anyone know of any great deal, special code, ANYTHING so I can spend Saturday night in the Portland area? I've already tried Priceline yet I got no matched bids. Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I guess it's this http://www.portlandmaine.com/events.html getting in your way. Rooms are gone or being scalped at high prices ($100 for Fairfield Inn???) I don't have any other ideas really....
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:12 pm

Ramada Ltd.
1150 Brighton Ave.
Portland, ME 04102

Corporate Rate:
$58.50 night of June 5th (Saturday)
$49.50 night of June 6th (Sunday)

TOTAL for 2 nights: $108.00 + 7% TAX

Book on www.ramada.com
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I feel your pain... and things get worse as you move north from Portland. Maine is blessedly expensive during its short (10-week) tourist season. I'm taking my kid up to see Grandma in Boothbay Harbor in a few weeks and a number of properties are sold out already... no room at the Hampton Inn in Freeport/Brunswick... I'm at the HGI Auburn under a Sundays-are-free deal which makes the $139. rate look a little less outrageous, but down on the coast, no-name places with "rustic charm" are going for more than $100./night.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:18 pm

Portland room

You can try the Budget Inn in South Portland. $55 rack rate.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peaksfellow
You can try the Budget Inn in South Portland. $55 rack rate.
I just called the one on Main Street, South Portland. Spoke with a woman who said they are independent and that they know nothing of a rack rate of $55. Is there another one?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:45 pm

budget inn

That's the one. They quoted me $55 just before I posted.
Main St. in Portland.

Guess I'd try the Ramada.

There is also a coupon book, available at any rest area on the way up from NY, with super-low rates for walk-ins. The problem is that most hotels in the area are sold out on Saturday nights in the summer. If the weather is questionable, they will have cancellations.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by peaksfellow

There is also a coupon book, available at any rest area on the way up from NY, with super-low rates for walk-ins. The problem is that most hotels in the area are sold out on Saturday nights in the summer.
The same coupons referred to above are also available online at:

www.roomsaver.com
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Portland Travelodge is 62.10/night
Motel 6 is 42.74/night
Ramada Limited is 54/night

All on Orbitz, except Travelodge which is on Travelodge's site

Last edited by yevlesh2; Jun 3, 2004 at 4:41 pm
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. My fiance wants to go to the least expensive place which is Motel 6. Ok....I can be a big girl about this. Anyhoo, we didn't get the rate yevlesh2 mentioned.....how did you get that? I didn't see it on Motel 6's website or Orbitz. We got the $50.39 rate. How can we get the rate you quoted?

At least we are going to the Cape Pier Chowder House in Cape Porpoise for dinner. Lobsters straight from the boat....eating at picnic tables facing Goat Island and all of the lobster boats. Does life get any better?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
The fare is still on Orbitz:
$42.74 Discounted rate
Standard queen bed non-smoking, table, 19" tv
Sat 6/5:$42.74
Sun 6/6: $42.74

If you are staying only one night on 6/5 (wasn't sure from the original message), it's $44.99

Originally Posted by Analise
Anyhoo, we didn't get the rate yevlesh2 mentioned.....how did you get that? I didn't see it on Motel 6's website or Orbitz. We got the $50.39 rate. How can we get the rate you quoted?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:56 am

Inn at St John

Try here:
Inn at St John

Rooms start at only $45 a night, but this weekend is the Old Port Festival, so It may be booked. It's right on the downtown peninsula, but kind of in a slightly sketchy area, but that said, Portland doesn't really get that bad. It's not New York, after all(or even Boston)! You won't get mugged, but someone may ask you for a donation.

It's about a 20 minute walk from the Old Port, right on Congress Street, accross from the Greyhound station, and a few blocks (intown) from the (much better) Concord Trailways station, and is right on the busline from the airport.

I'm a waiter at the Roma Cafe, a few blocks up the hill from there. Stop in for a bite if you like!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yevlesh2
The fare is still on Orbitz:
$42.74 Discounted rate
Standard queen bed non-smoking, table, 19" tv
Sat 6/5:$42.74
Sun 6/6: $42.74

If you are staying only one night on 6/5 (wasn't sure from the original message), it's $44.99
Ahhhh, I'm staying Saturday night but there are 2 of us, not just me. I think there is the difference. I can't put down 1 and then show up with the two of us....can I?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.