Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happened to Town & Country Mall, Houston? Used to have flights there.

Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Around 1985, I flew aboard a helicopter airline which had flights from IAH to Greenway Plaza and other destinations. I remember one flight stopped at Town and Country Mall. What happened to the mall? Has the neighborhood changed for the worse?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2606441

(story about the mall closing)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are several T&C Villages in the SF Bay Area (Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and I think Cupertino... to name a few) and they are also looking a bit worn down.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
That Houston Chronicle article describes some of its problems pretty well. Poor visibility, and the existence of the Memorial City Mall very closeby.

But more importantly, people have moved further away from the city. Most of the new developements is at Highway 6 or beyond. Not much new houses being built around Town and Country.

And there is I-10 Katy Freeway. It's the most congested freeway in Houston rightnow. A widening project just started, and won't finish until like 10 years later. The I-10/Beltway8 intersection will have to be completely rebuilt, meaning lots of construction all around that area for a long long time.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
But more importantly, people have moved further away from the city. Most of the new developements is at Highway 6 or beyond. Not much new houses being built around Town and Country.
ime.
I used to think that the Town and Country Mall was way out there, far away from the center of Houston. I don't remember there being a Memorial City Mall.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Memorial City Mall is I-10@Gessner, a mile east of T&C at most, also on the south side of I-10. It's a single-story mall that's not as upscale, but I don't know why MC survives while T&C didn't.

Another theory I've heard a lot is the garage-parking at T&C. Somehow, people here don't like parking in garages. Again, I have no idea why. I LOVE garages as the car doesn't have to be fried under the sun in a open lot. Oh well...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.