how would you deal with a "customer of size?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how would you deal with a "customer of size?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
how would you approach this situation

(i can't believe this hasn't been discussed before -- but i searched for "COS", "customer of size," etc. and nothing came up.)

You're in the non-reclining, middle seat of the last row of a sold out flight. The last passenger to get on the plane is a "customer of size," and s/he takes his/her seat right next to you. This individual will clearly need to occupy some of your already limited personal space for the next 4 hours.

It's now 10 minutes 'til departure and there are no later flights on that day until the red-eye...what would you do?

(I witnessed this scenario yesterday, and, while trying to figure out how i would deal with the situation, i decided i was also curious how others would react.)

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jun 1, 2004 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:03 am

I would insist that the offending person lose 50 pounds, right there and then.

Isn't that something.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I apologize if my question seemed offensive – I was just wondering if others have been in this situation, and if so…have they just let it go, come up with an alternative diplomatic solution, or done something else. Was just curious…

Personally, I'd just forget about it on a shorter flight (as I have in the past), and I'd probably let it go if I had an aisle too...but I don't know what I'd do in the situation identified. I’d certainly want to be as diplomatic as possible, but I’d also want to have my space.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
By then hopefully I have my headphones on and the armrests firmly down.

If you're "inside" (as opposed to aisle-side), it's easy to deal with "encroachment"-- when your threshhold is breached, get up to "get something out of the overhead" or "use the lav," which will require the both of you to get up and reconfigure when you sit down again. Otherwise, nothing to do but grin and bear it, as I'm sure it's no more comfortable for the other party than it is for you.

Personally, I've had no issues when "Big Guy" sits next to me, certainly as opposed to "Redeye Chatty Guy" or "Transcon Smelly Guy."
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:03 am

If it's a risk to your health, like happened in a British Airways case a couple years ago, then talk to the flight attendant. Otherwise endure.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
This has come up many times, I think you are trying to be too politically correct in your search, try "overweight" or "fat". "Passenger of Size" also seems to be used more than "Customer of Size".

These are all from TravelBuzz, many of the airline forums have had similar threads, Southwest has had several.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287102
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287595
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293022
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292740
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293695
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297651
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298700
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Been there ... done that

This happened to me on a red-eye ORD-LHR on UA.
Flight was packed - no spare seats anywhere i was on aisle seat back of coach when a very, very large lady tried to sit next to me.
Basically, there was no way she could fit in with the armrest down.

I spoke to the FA who advised that there was no other seats available as there was a late connection that had come in.

I ended up sitting in the crew seat for take off / landing and on the floor of the galley at the back the rest of the 7.5 hours.

The FAs were very good - there was absolutely nothing else they could do.

I emailed stern letter to UA after, complimenting them on the helpfulness of their FAs (always belive in praise where praise is due) and expressed at the amazement that there was not even one spare seat, asking what would have happend had someone had a major medical problem on the flight. Two weeks later they finally replied by email all I got was - the flight was full the lady should have bought 2 tix - we cannot tell how large a person is from their booking.

I was amazed - not even a "sorry you had a bad flight"

Hence the reason why I have never flown with them since and am unlikely to do so in the future.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choster
Personally, I've had no issues when "Big Guy" sits next to me, certainly as opposed to "Redeye Chatty Guy" or "Transcon Smelly Guy."
I hate it when these two morons travel and are seated next to me.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
On a KLM flight once on the oposite side of a small planewere three loud smelly fat girls who were on a mission to drink as much as possible from the drinks cart.

About 40 mins into the flight ( you need to know KLM only have eco and biz class ) a lod voice shouts how come KLM have BIz class and economy class and we always end up in dick head class
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
three loud smelly fat girls who were on a mission to drink as much as possible from the drinks cart.
Please tell me you at least got their phone numbers...
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
...You're in the non-reclining, middle seat of the last row of a sold out flight. The last passenger to get on the plane is a "customer of size," and s/he takes his/her seat right next to you. This individual will clearly need to occupy some of your already limited personal space...
That is exactly, down to the seat location, what happened to me a few years ago flying ORD-BOS in mid-winter.

My flight the day before was cancelled due to weather, as were all later flights that day, as were all other flights the next day except mine. The only reason I got that seat was my then EXP status. I was so happy to get it (all thoughts of saying in F had long since been forgotten) that they could have put two elephants on one side of me, two camels on the other and a life insurance salesman in my lap. I was just happy to be on the freakin' plane.

I survived and am still here to talk about it.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
I would have been on Southwest Airlines, where I wasn't forced to sit in the middle seat, if there was an aisle seat next to me.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Why not use the canned excuse the airlines use and say that you feel that your safety is compromised in that seat, and what will they do about it?

I have struggled with my own opinion on this issue. I feel that if you buy a seat, you are entitled to that space, armrests down, without encroachment. That being said, my shoulders are wider than the standard coach seat, but my butt still fits in my own ZIP code. The offending passenger needs to either be reseated where there is a middle seat open. If there is no seat available, they have to leave the airplane...for safety reasons.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:37 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Before door closing ask the FA to reseat you (reseat you, not him). If that fails, ask to see the Complaint Resolution Officer. If need be, suggest that they ask for volunteers to be bumped.

From what you described, the flight was oversold.

If need be, you sit in a crew seat and the crew member sits on the floor. But again, agree on this before door closing.

Do not suggest on the spot that the other passenger buy a second seat, he may be offered your seat for immediate purchase and then you may be out of luck.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; Jun 3, 2004 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.