Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping In China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Tipping In China

Does anyone have any suggestions and advice on handling tipping in China -- on tours etc.?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:01 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Nothing to help with the topic, but the thread title reminded of grafitti I once saw--

"Tipping is not a city in China."
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:24 pm

Tipping is not a custom in China, but extra money is always welcome. Before you tip, please match with the local standard (does not mean you have to tip more, but less). Thialand is an example that foreigners changed their custom from no tip to tip is expected by everyone in the travel industry.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:31 pm
Suspended

I usually tip 300-500 RMB in the barbershops
Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:49 pm

Generally speaking, tipping is not common for taxis or local restaurants, although you could round up to nearest 10 kuai note if you want. In some places that cater to businessmen, expats and tourists, a service charge will most likely have already been added to the bill.

In the case of western hotels and tour guides, I think you tip what you would normally tip in any western country.

In any case, whatever you do, just remember that the base minimum wage in China is about $100 a month (give or take $50).
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Personally, I rarely tip at all unless I receive truly exceptional service. Some people (mostly foreigners) like to round up taxi fares; I don't because I'm reticent to raise the bar for everyone else (recently I've noticed a trend where drivers assume the change belongs to them).
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
raise the bar for everyone else
Agree, best way is to do what local people do. A lot of generous tip smay break the rule to play a fair game.
Old May 6, 2004, 6:06 am
Original Poster

To All: As usual, thanks for the advice
Old May 6, 2004, 7:07 am

Now that Hong Kong has reverted back to China, has tipping in Hong Kong changed? When I was in Hong Kong I always tipped 10% to private tour guides and waitstaff but they acted like they didn't care if I tipped them or not.
Old May 6, 2004, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i don't think hk's changed much.

-most places get you with the "service charge"
-just leave the extra coins for the server/bartender/bellhop/etc
Old May 7, 2004, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
My whole attitude about tipping has changed since I've lived in Asia. In the states, I was appalled that I should leave a tip at a buffet restaurant just because I got my drink refilled. Knowing that most service workers in Asia (and particularly China) make very little ($1 per hour is a good average) I have not had a problem giving a little extra for good service. Not too much to upset the local customs, but something to show my appreciation.

In a local restaurant, two waitresses and the cook left because the owner of the restaurant would not allow the servers to keep their tips from the expats.

In HK, rounding up the fare is normal, and drivers will give you change based on the norm.

Also remember in China that servers are held responsible for the food served to the customers. if you send something back, it will come out of the server's pay.

Edited to add: Always check for the service charge. My personal custom is to not leave anything else if a service charge has been added to my bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.