Wiki Posts
Search

Sonoma / Napa Valley accommodation help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sonoma / Napa Valley accommodation help

I usually just do Napa as a day trip but would like to have a little romantic weekend in Sonoma or Napa. Does anyone have accommodation suggestions?

I don't want to stay in an impersonal hotel. I can't afford Auberge du Soleil (www.aubergedusoleil.com). Anyone have a place that they really liked that is affordable? I don't really care which city as you need to drive to the various wineries anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:10 pm

I was able to get two rooms booked at a new place in Napa. It is called Boutique Bel Abri. They have very reasonable rates for a Friday night in April and it's very close to the Designer Outlet Mall.

After speaking to Kirby on the phone yesterday, I was totally sold. He is putting together a list of wineries with complimentary "premium" tastings for us, as well as he even gave me his cell phone number to call him with any questions.

The website is http://www.boutiqueresortsnapa.com

Oh, they have a full breakfast from 8-9 and wine and cheese from 5-7.
I am looking forward to checking the place out!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:56 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I've been to La Residence in Napa, which is a nicely decorated, very friendly B&B. Highly recommended. http://www.laresidence.com/

But my favorite is in Sonoma, the Gaige House. http://www.gaige.com
I love their decoration....clean and streamline. Very friendly service, the breakfast itself is out of the world.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
No clue as to the cost, but two of our favorite places to imbibe offer b&b's, Viansa has a couple rooms, and Prager Port has two cottages or whatever you want to call them.

Both add dot com to their names, but they don't have rates online.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
I usually just do Napa as a day trip but would like to have a little romantic weekend in Sonoma or Napa. Does anyone have accommodation suggestions?

I don't want to stay in an impersonal hotel. I can't afford Auberge du Soleil (www.aubergedusoleil.com). Anyone have a place that they really liked that is affordable? I don't really care which city as you need to drive to the various wineries anyway.
I can't help you with a hotel. And yes, Auberge du Soleil is very expensive. However, I got a nice tip from a lady at B&B winery: go there, have a drink and watch the sunset! And we (Mrs. USAFAN & I) did it ... it was great and not expensive at all.
If you find a nice not too expensive hotel, please post it here...I am planning a trip too .. we may go also to Mendocino County .. the Fetzer "hotel/B&B" looks pretty good!?!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:46 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
sorry, I can't help much with accomodation, as we mostly stay at a winery as their guest.

But nevertheless, here a wine-tasting-tip: please (as romantic as your trip should be and turn out ... I am soooooooooooo®© jealous) don't put much channel cinque on, it doesn't help the real wine-tasting-experience ...
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:37 pm

Safari West

For a more unique stay, you might try Safari West, http://www.safariwest.com.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions.

Rudi don’t worry the lovely bottle of Chanel Cinq you gave me will stay at home.

Originally Posted by Rudi
don't put much channel cinque on, it doesn't help the real wine-tasting-experience ...
Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you haven't visited Occidental, on the way to Bodega Bay, it's definitely worth a stop. It's an old logging town that hasn't been "restored" in too touristy a way and there are a couple of excellent restaurants. There are several good wineries nearby as well.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I stayed at the Sonoma Chalet in June 2001 with my then girlfriend. Small B&B just on the outskirts of Sonoma, rates from $125 by the looks of things and was great for us.

We sat in the hot tub that night drinking wine & watching the shooting stars. My then g/f is now my wife, but still hasn't told me what she wished for...

www.sonomachalet.com

Oh, and we managed to walk to 2 vineyards from there. Absolutely insane, it was 100F and we were baking in the sun, but the hosts welcomed us warmly (& showed us where the water coolers were!)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Just booked a long weekend in mid-May for The Carneros Inn (www.carnerosinn.com), they have a buy 2 night, 3rd night free promo running at: http://www.secure-res.com/res/vn2/listp.asp?id=1556

Anyone have any experience with this property?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:52 am

Hotel Bel Abri

I am back from my weekend in Napa and Vegas.

The Bel Abri was hard to find, but worth the find. Perhaps the Best Western has better directions since it is across the street. The rooms were decorated in the best linens and such. I was upgraded to the "handicapped room" which was adjacent with doors to my Godparents room. I had 103 and they had 102. They both had little patios with a medium hedge around the patio, which served as a fabulous place to have our complimentary breakfast outside in the morning.

Now, I mentioned Kirby earlier, but after meeting him on Friday afternoon, I couldn't take anymore of him. He made lunch reservations for us at Don Giovanni's in Napa which was OUTSTANDING. Do try the fried olive and almond appetizer. The wineries which he wanted us to try, we had no desire and stuck to our original plan. Kirby made dinner reservations for us at Cole's Chop House, which had to work out many kinks before we were satified. The next day, he had made us lunch reservations at Greystone, which was a major disappointment.

We got a VIP Tour at Mondavi which was outstanding. (I am a shareholder), which allowed a daily tasting at Opus, which we were very disappointed at them pouring a 2000. We bought the 95 taste of Opus, whiich was much better. So much for the shareholders!

The next day we started off at Domain Chandon. I loved it! I'm in the Club now. I can honestly say, I do like the old reserves the best now. And I cannot wait until the December shipment of two magnums! YES!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:33 pm

Last time I went, I stayed here
http://www.millikencreekinn.com

Very nice, intimate place. Daily breakfast and wine and cheese in the evening.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
On the expensive but great side are:

Auberge du Soleil;
Meadowwood Napa Valley (an Amex Fine Hotels & Resort Property); and/or
The Sanoma Mission Inn and Spa

I ahve stayed at all three and they are each wonderful!

Enjoy.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I recently booked rooms at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn using Amex FH&R for $168/night, which I consider a great rate. They let me book 3 rooms at that rate for 3 nights in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.