Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there better hotel amenities you'd like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Upon checking into last night's hotel, the bathroom amenities included eye-make-up remover pads, great for me as a female. So I got to thinking (bad idea) Does anyone really use the given SHOWER CAP...EVER? Could hotels either save millions of $$ eliminating them as useless or substitute something you'd rather have that we actually use? I put the shower cap right up there with the Holy Bible, two things I never use. What bathroom amenity would you prefer to receive instead of a shower cap?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes I use the shower caps and at times read The Bible.

At a top-line hotel, I'd like to see overnight pressing/dry cleaning service availability as there are times when I know I cannot press tomorrow's suit as well as a professional can.

I'd like to see coffee in the lobby at night. I stayed at the Radisson at MCI last night but while they didn't have available coffee, a hotel attendant brought some to me while I was online in their business area set up in the lobby. That was very nice!

I'd like to see soap dishes for those of us who prefer showers over baths---they need to be higher!

Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:20 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
The Bibles are distributed by The Gideons International. The properties do not pay for them.

I would like to see a shoe polish kit.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:38 am

What I'd really like is a list of businesses that are frequently needed by guests, and a simple map on how to get to them. Many hotels sell pages into their info books, but this information isn't complete enough. I often find myself looking in the yellow pages, but never have an idea which location is close to my hotel. Ideally, this list would include:

Restaurants (delivery, take out, and sit-down)
Kinko's and/or similar shops
Office supply store
Discount retailers (Target, Walmart)
Starbucks
24 hour stores
Drug store
Gyms
Shopping mall
Tourist attractions
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Actually, BoilerMaker, there is usually a shoe kit too, however, for $2.00 I prefer the shoeshine guy.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:22 am

Programs: AC*SE
I've noticed that top-end hotels like to trumpet their turn-down service. Does anyone actually appreciate/use this service, or miss it if it is not offered?

I usually decline when they come to the door offering it, but I do like it when they bring a little treat like some chocolates or a bottle of water.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I always want turn down service, and if they forget or I need them to come later, I always call housekeeping for specific request. I don't get this at home, so for me a real treat to have fresh towels, plumped pillows and chocolates awaiting. Many hotels now turn on radio to classical music for arrival...I luv it.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Always love turn down service and specifically call housekeeping for request if they forget or I need a later turn-down time. I don't get this luxury at home so I luv, plumped pillows, fresh towels, chocolates and now many hotels turn on the radio to classical music for arrival...
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:34 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1director:
Always love turn down service and specifically call housekeeping for request if they forget or I need a later turn-down time. I don't get this luxury at home so I luv, plumped pillows, fresh towels, chocolates and now many hotels turn on the radio to classical music for arrival...</font>
Whoops, sorry for the duplicate.

Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLpax:
What I'd really like is a list of businesses that are frequently needed by guests, and a simple map on how to get to them. Many hotels sell pages into their info books, but this information isn't complete enough. I often find myself looking in the yellow pages, but never have an idea which location is close to my hotel. Ideally, this list would include:

Restaurants (delivery, take out, and sit-down)
Kinko's and/or similar shops
Office supply store
Discount retailers (Target, Walmart)
Starbucks
24 hour stores
Drug store
Gyms
Shopping mall
Tourist attractions
</font>
I use Yahoo's Yellow Pages to get this type of information: http://yp.yahoo.com
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:08 am

Programs: BA
A decent street map of the town posted on the wall of each room.

Instructions on how to set the alarm clock.

A notice on the cupboard door if there are extra pillows/blankets inside saying "extra pillows/blankets inside".

An iron and an ironing board.

Instructions on the room modem connections. Like where is it (in the wall, in the telephone handset). Does it cut off the room phone line when in use, or not.

...and in the bathroom - soap! No, not those liquid soap dispensers which are unusable if you are laying in the bath, but proper soap.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:18 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Seconded on iron and ironing board. SAS Radisson hotels have been doing a good job of putting these things in.

Information on how much things cost - like phonecalls etc. Half of the time, you can't even get someone at reception to tell you.

Decent city maps (not just a tiny bit of the centre) and a good tourist guide - not the usual 'where to buy furs and diamonds' cack you get. Quite a few Central European hotels I stay at have 'in your pocket' guides in the rooms - these are just the ticket.

Broadband internet access - wireless or fixed. In the room. This has now become a necessity for me.

Decent public transport information. I don't get cabs everywhere, it's a horrible waste (and takes longer, half the time).

An overnight pressing service, as said. And I mean over *night*. Most of them finish at 6 or 7pm - ha! I envy those who get back from meetings that early.

Aircon that *turns off*. It dehydrates you terribly, and the noise is a pain when you're trying to sleep.

A choice of pillows is a nice touch - some NH hotels do this, and it's excellent. Not something I'd insist on, but, like I say, it's a nice touch.

Enough wardrobe space and hangers for a week, minimum. The number of times I've turned up to hotels to find tiny wardrobes with 3 hangers in...

The rack rate on the back of the door, so you can feel smug at just how much of a discount you got through the internet

I've stayed in hotels with a car service that you can charge back to your room - this is incredibly useful, particularly in cities where you don't want to be carrying round a whole load of cash on you.

Availability of a decent newspaper. Not just USA-bloody-today. If there's an English-language one available, the Guardian Itnternational would be nice

Lights that switch off easily. Not a series of lamps that are all switched on when you walk in and take you 20 minutes to find all the off switches. And not some mammoth control panel that takes the same amount of time to figure out.

Business centres available on request. My line of work means I often need to do urgent work at unsociable hours.

The ability to leave your room (and hand in the key), but not yet check out. Helps to avoid the queues in the morning rush, and lets you charge items (lunch, dinner, business centre, cars, etc) to your account if you have a late departure.

That's all for now...
Old Dec 17, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
It certainly must be an overnight dry-cleaning, laundry and pressing service.

The prices for all these services are outrageous, yet I agree to pay if the service was available WHEN I need it, not during limited hours.

As for shower cap, my mother was appaled not to find one at our hotel in Vienna, I immediately thought that a great number of women over 50 must use them quite a bit.

Oh, I think I would also prefer a better lotion instead what they are giving even in nicer hotels...that watery stuff is just not cutting it
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Here's an easy one that hotels could provide without adding a whole lot of infrastructure: a concierge who really knows his sh*t.

A few weeks ago, I was at the Marriott at MSP. I asked the concierge for the best way to get to a particular neighborhood in St. Paul at rush hour. His response: "I've never heard of that neighborhood - I'm from Chicago, just workin' here for a few months." He was a pleasant guy and he handed me a nice map of the Twin Cities, but I already knew how to get there using the main highways. I was seeking a bit of local insight about whether I should avoid certain roads.

At a minimum, the concierge should know the city very well and the roads, businesses, and restaurants near the hotel like the back of his hand. At a mid-scale airport Marriott I don't expect a "full service" guy on a first-name basis with every ticket broker in town, but I do expect decent driving directions.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I use the shower caps and I hate it when I stay at Westin and they don't have them in the room. They will bring one to you but last time I waited 30 minutes and I was in a hurry. I wish more hotels had tea in the room. I don't drink coffee. I like the sewing kits with the needles already threaded. I wish more hotels provided lint mitts. I love the soap and shampoo at Ritz Carlton. It smells so good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.