Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:04 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Cuba! That's a rare one. How did you do that without getting into trouble?

Bruce
</font>

Canadians are allowed to travel and vacation in Cuba. If you are an American citizen you can visit cuba via The Cayman islands. They put a loose sheet in your passport for entry so that you can remove it when you return and not get in trouble with the US.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
All places slept at least one night
Some purist will take some exceptions here I'm sure
</font>
Vatican??? Hey, which was your favorite Caribbean island? I am still trying to work my way through them all

Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:36 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Vatican??? Hey, which was your favorite Caribbean island? I am still trying to work my way through them all

</font>
Tazi,Good question.The Vatican of course has no hotels but I did stay very close at a hotel in the Piazza Navona in Rome a less than 10 minute walk away.
I like Barbados;pretty quiet yet lively when you want it to be and beaches are great.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Rare? I understand it is not illegal for a US citizen to VISIT Cuba</font>
You have to get special permission from the the government to visit Cuba if you are a US citizen. I think it is total BS myself.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 10-07-2002).]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:14 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
LOL! Yes, West Virginia is an actual state. However, the Florida Keys are not. But, if you have ever lived there, you would swear you were not only in a different state, but a different country </font>
Actually Key West performed a mock secession and declared itself the "Conch Republic" after INS set up a border checkpoint in the upper Florida Keys to screen for illegal immigrants during/after the Marrielle boatlift from Cuba. It got lots of publicity but no official recognition at the time.

[This message has been edited by rtpflyer (edited 10-07-2002).]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 8:10 am
At Large

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tazi:
[B] You have to get special permission from the the government to visit Cuba if you are a US citizen. I think it is total BS myself.

why is it total BS.First of all I am Canadian.Secondly you as an American do not need permission to go there.1000's of US citizens pass through YYZ every month on their way to Cuba.I also meet Americans every time I go to Iran. Get some facts before you make these statements.

Old Oct 7, 2002, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
As a humble request from the thread starter, can we please try and restrict the posts to responding to the thread title? Thanks.

I apologise - it was my answering bdschobel's comment above that got us off tangent a tiny bit here. It is an interesting thread, and hopefully we can all keep it that way.

Old Oct 7, 2002, 9:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
why is it total BS.First of all I am Canadian.Secondly you as an American do not need permission to go there.1000's of US citizens pass through YYZ every month on their way to Cuba.I also meet Americans every time I go to Iran. Get some facts before you make these statements.

</font>
Information direct from the Bureau of Consular Affairs webpage on foreign entry requirements:
http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

CUBA - *Passport and visa required. Tourist visa $26, business visa $50 valid for at stay of up to 30 days, requires 1 application form and 1 photo. Send money order only and SASE for return of passport. Apply Embassy of Switzerland, Cuban Interests Section, 2630 16th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20009 (202/797-8518 (Spanish speakers 202/797-8609)). AIDS test required for those staying longer than 90 days. Attention: U.S. citizens need a Treasury Dept. license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Cuba (this includes the use of U.S. currency). Before planning any travel to Cuba, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, Department of the Treasury, 1500 Penn. Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20220 (202/622-0077) or ]http://www.ustreas.gov/ofac/.

I have edited this to avoid starting a debate and observe the wishes of the thread starter. Here's a link to the current regulations regarding travel to Cuba by U.S. citizens.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enfor...ns/t11cuba.pdf

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 10-07-2002).]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 9:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
As a humble request from the thread starter, can we please try and restrict the posts to responding to the thread title? Thanks.

I apologise - it was my answering bdschobel's comment above that got us off tangent a tiny bit here. It is an interesting thread, and hopefully we can all keep it that way.

</font>
Sorry. I promise to stay on topic from now on

Old Oct 7, 2002, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Very many thanks Tazi.

It might be a very interesting seperate thread to raise on Travel Buzz, as it seems the rules are not 100% clear - or adhered to much anyway! Good luck if you make a thread from it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 10-07-2002).]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 10:28 am
At Large

Last post here on the subject----the US state dept. also warns US citizens about travel to many other countries (like Saudi where 60K US citizens now live) and people still go there.If one is going to Cuba and exchanges their US dollars for CDN say and spends those there how is the treasury going to know---its a flawed law and most people ignore it. I see more US dollars in Cuba than a lot of places. It is the defacto currency there in the tourist trade.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 1:34 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
...and getting us back on track...

France
Switzerland
Germany
Spain
Denmark
Belgium
Bulgaria
Tunisia
Pakistan
India
United Arab Emirates
Kuwait
Iran
Sri Lanka
Singapore
Canada
USA
Dominican Republic
Cuba
Puerto Rico
Honduras
Costa Rica
Colombia
Panama
Venezuela
Ecuador

That's it. I don't travel much....
Old Oct 8, 2002, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Life time Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
US
Mexico
UK
Netherlands
Switzerland
UAE
India
Thailand

Italy
Germany
France
Singapore
HongKong
Sri Lanka

Last edited by rnprasad; Jan 4, 2006 at 12:50 am Reason: Just added some new places
Old Oct 9, 2002, 11:16 am

Programs: TP, AF, BA, LH, CO
My short, short list:

1/Belgium
2/France
3/Greece (+ Myconos + Delos)
4/Italy (+ Sicilia)
5/Monaco
6/Portugal (+ Madeira)
7/Spain (+ Tenerife)
8/Tunisia
9/United Kingdom (just England)
10/Vatican City

Depending on me, i'll sure add some more to that list.

------------------
rucas0

[This message has been edited by rucas0 (edited 10-10-2002).]
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:56 pm

Here's my list:
1/Austria
2/Belgium
3/Belarus
4/Britain
5/Canada
6/Czech Republic & Czechoslovakia
7/Denmark
8/France
9/Germany (BRD & DDR)
10/Israel
11/Jordan (without a visa, that's another story)
12/Latvia
13/Lithuania/LSSR
14/Netherlands
15/Poland
16/Russia/RSFSR
17/Serbia
18/Slovakia
19/Spain
20/Switzerland

AFAIK I'm the only poster showing Belarus (a horrible place to visit and you wouldn't want to live there either, open-air museum of Stalinism), Lithuania & Latvia. Kto z FT-ow mowi po polsku, ar kalba lietuviskiai?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.