Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Shipping golf clubs

Shipping golf clubs

Old Mar 16, 04, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Shipping golf clubs

How do we ship golf clubs round trip to Scotland from California. The best I've found is a quote for $278. Seems a bit steep to me! Babs
Old Mar 16, 04, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have used both UPS and an airline cargo service to ship my clubs in the past. In both cases the clubs arrived undamaged and on time.

There are services out there that specialize in golf club shipping (just Google it), but I assume they just use a common service and mark up the price.
Old Mar 16, 04, 11:03 am

Curious why you're not checking them as you (or pax) fly? Have done that many times and haven't had a problem yet. It is a pain to have to drag them to the airport, etc. but after going to a travel case with wheels it's much better.
Old Mar 16, 04, 11:06 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Check EMS - Express mail. www.usps.com
Old Mar 16, 04, 12:01 pm

I'd second the comments from tweedledee. I almost always take my clubs with me when I'm going anywhere interesting and I will have a weekend to get out to one of the local courses. The only time I've ever had a problem was on a particularly convoluted routing from ABQ-STL-EWR // JFK-HKG-AKL when my connection in STL ended up under 30 minutes and my checked luggage didn't make the connection with me into EWR. Even then, CX followed through in the end and managed to get my sticks onto the continuing flight.

I often use the extra space in the golf travel bag for shoe's or other bulky items allowing me to pack better in my roll-aboard.
Old Mar 16, 04, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In the case of the OP, I'm guessing that int'l excess baggage charges are the reason.

In one of my cases, I was traveling to DC for business and found myself on a Tuesday afternoon with an opportunity to play Congressional the next morning. I was able to coax a buddy at home to take my sticks to the airport and get them on that night's flight to DCA. Cost: $44, plus a case of beer for the buddy. Well worth it to play a nice track with my own clubs instead of whatever junk I could rent for $25.

In the other case, it was at the end of a week-long vacation during which we had accumulated luggage (you know how that goes...). I UPS'ed the clubs home for $40 just so I wouldn't have to mess with them at the airport.
Old Mar 16, 04, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
I generally use FEDEX to ship my clubs with me. I do it for several reasons. The primary, is it is one less thing for me to have to worry about when I am transiting through the airport. Second, I can actually track the things, no way for them to get really lost, without me knowing. Third, if the airport uses the ETD swipes, the fertilizer found on golf courses tends to make the things go off. (This was the kicker for shipping) I ended up spending a good hour with TSA as we went through all of the bag and scanned each item individually. (this may not be the case anymore, but it was enough for me) After that I just decided to ship via FEDEX for about $50.00 each way. The hassle factor is almost nil, as they have an airport facility on the way to the main terminal.
Old Mar 18, 04, 9:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Check them, that has to be way less then the hundreds of dollars others are quoting you if there is a fee at all. You copuld probably buy the hard case with the savings.
Old Mar 19, 04, 2:31 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Alternatively, ship them without your golf bag. A set of golf clubs is very light, but throw in your bag, a dozen balls, etc and suddenly you're shipping a lot of weight.

Buy a cheap lightweight bag when you arrive.
Old Mar 19, 04, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to just pack my golf shoes, some balls and the marker/tees if I'm only going to play one or two rounds. I hate having to wait for the oversize luggage at EWR since it seems to take an additional 20-30 mins to get the clubs. The last two trips had rental clubs of Calloways, Pings or Taylors, and the best part is if I have a bad round, I can always blame the equipment.
Old May 10, 05, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Gold
Bumping this up to see if anyone has had any recent experience shipping golf clubs.

The family and I are off to Hawaii in a few weeks and we will be bringing four sets of clubs. Needless to say, four golf bags plus regular luggage make for a full rental car, even if an SUV. The thought occurred to me to perhaps ship two of the bags, but the price seems a bit much in the few places I have looked. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old May 10, 05, 9:38 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Bumping this up to see if anyone has had any recent experience shipping golf clubs.

The family and I are off to Hawaii in a few weeks and we will be bringing four sets of clubs. Needless to say, four golf bags plus regular luggage make for a full rental car, even if an SUV. The thought occurred to me to perhaps ship two of the bags, but the price seems a bit much in the few places I have looked. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Take a cab as well as the SUV to and from the hotel. You should be able to fit all the luggae in two cars/suvs. Or make two trips to/from hotel.
Old May 10, 05, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold
Good idea. I hadn't thought about getting a cab if things get tight. Certainly much cheaper than shiping the clubs.
Old May 11, 05, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Plat; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rockdoc

I haven't had any personal experience with this, but there is a short blurb about this in the June 2005 issue of Golf Digest. They mention one at www.golfbagshipping.com.
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:59 am

Programs: American; United; Starwood
The posts in this thread are several years old. Anyone ship clubs lately? Whom did you use? What was the fee? I would be shipping from Florida to Chicago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: