Wiki Posts
Search

Peeling plastic on passport picture page

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Peeling plastic on passport picture page

My passport has the laminated plastic beginning to come loose on the edges. Does anybody else have this problem and has anybody had trouble entering/exiting a country with this issue?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:32 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes!

I used to live in Strasbourg, and get the train down to Basel quite regularly. Bâle-Voyageurs had a little French enclave of an SNCF station, and the passport control there was quite rigorous.

Every time I went there, they were intent on checking that the photo page (the back page on my passport - the newer UK ones are mid-passport) was genuine, and that there was no way of putting a dodgy photo in. They'd do this by running a fingernail along the edge.

And guess what? Every time they did this, the laminate came away a little bit more.

It's now completely away at the corners. So I called the UKPA (United Kingdom Passport Agency) to see about getting replacement. No simple answer. It's not about to expire, so I can't get a replacement. If it's damaged (and so unusable), I have to get a birth certificate extract (such is the system in Scotland) and go through a whole long procedure to apply for a new one, while my old one is cancelled. Which, seeing as I travel on business weekly, is a no-goer.

So, I bought a passport holder (with a clear perspex display for the back page). Since then, I've been to the US, Peru, Bolivia, a host of EU countries, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Thailand, Malaysia and New Zealand without so much as a raised eyebrow.

But not back to Switzerland.

I do need to get a new one soon, though.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:38 pm

My passport is a mess - there is some peeling on the picture page around the machine-readable info to the point that some agents can't scan it, and the front cover has become completely unadhered from the inside cover. I never have any problem... at most the agents comment jokingly on it's condition, manually type in the info, and I'm on my way. Then again, I'm a white male with a Canadian passport traveling mostly in North America, Europe and the more developed regions of Asia... things that may or may not aid my passage.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Peter Piper purportedly picked a peck of pickled peppers after pretending to be peeling plastic off of passport picture page. Peter Piper plainly proposed pleading for passage past peeved security personnel but proved pitiful after providing a plethora of pennies - a paltry pittance panned by people pondering passing Peter Piper in the security line.

Perhaps Peter Piper probably packed his bag and departed for Paris or Prague?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:55 pm

Get a new passport if you can.

I had this same issue with my previous passport, with one immigration at AMS intentionally trying to peel off the laminate and photo . My problem was compounded by the fact the passport itself was in fair condition, thus drawing attention to the picture.

Having a 'first world' passport won't help, as those are the most sought-after as recipients for replacement photos, when stolen.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:34 pm

I actually was given a formal notification in writing by the Dutch Consulate in Mumbai when I last applied for a visa there that my passport was in poor condition and that I ran the risk of being denied entry to the Schengen states if I traveled with it.

Of course, I've been through AMS twice since without a second look!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I too have this problem, and it was brought to my attention when going into Amsterdam. A very long look was given at my passport and al lthe associated stamps, they seemed concerned that I was not using a proper document. My wife was with me, her passport is in perfect condition, and most of her stamps were the same, so he advised me ot get it replaced before it became too bad to use.

Of course, I haven't, and nobody else has evern looked twice at it. I do have to get it taken care of though.

So yes, I have seen it, and it has causes issues.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
My passport has a different problem. It's one of the early Finnish passports that use a plastic info page. Since the manufacturer managed to use some unsuitable plastic type (too hard) for the page, it's halfway ripped off after too many scans of the machine readable strip.

Some officers at HKG amd MEL took a closer look at it but never said a word. I suppose I should go get a new one rather soon.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had this prob with my last pp. For the last two years or so, I'd joke about it with most immigration officers, but Turkish and German pp officials really screwed up my passport (not just fingernails, but one idiot actually stuck his pencil into the side (therefore making a BIG gap).

One temporary solution is to Iron your passport through a cloth, It should reattach the laminate for awhile, just make sure not to do it too hot and you'll be okay.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:07 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Peter Piper purportedly picked a peck of pickled peppers after pretending to be peeling plastic off of passport picture page. Peter Piper plainly proposed pleading for passage past peeved security personnel but proved pitiful after providing a plethora of pennies - a paltry pittance panned by people pondering passing Peter Piper in the security line.

Perhaps Peter Piper probably packed his bag and departed for Paris or Prague?
</font>
Pleasingly perfect post!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 4:07 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I got a warning on one entry to the US that I wouldn't be allowed in again with my very dog-eared passport where the plastic was peeling off the back page. The immigration officer made as if to key something into his computer which he said would show on my next entry (of course, I have no way of knowing if this is true)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stut:
[B]I called the UKPA (United Kingdom Passport Agency) to see about getting replacement. No simple answer. It's not about to expire, so I can't get a replacement. If it's damaged (and so unusable), I have to get a birth certificate extract (such is the system in Scotland) and go through a whole long procedure to apply for a new one, while my old one is cancelled. Which, seeing as I travel on business weekly, is a no-goer.
</font>
I made an appointment with the UKPA and went to their new offices in London one Saturday with all the required paperwork. My new passport was with me by the following Wednesday. Still not great, and a hassle, but much better than I'd feared.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:08 am

LH747FTL, the first Finland EU-style passports were indeed horrible... but a friend of mine handled it in style. Departing from country X, the photo page came off in the hands of the immigration agent stamping him out, and he was on his way to notoriously picky Narita. What to do?

No problem: he just tucked the page back in, and at immigration handed the passport nonchalantly to the officer. Officer opened passport, page came off, friend acted shocked and started yelling "What are doing! You broke my passport!" Completely mortified immigration guy desperately attempted to repair passport while apologizing and bowing frantically... and my friend made it through in about 10 seconds flat.

Incidentally, if your Finnish passport falls apart, replacements (with the same validity) are free. The newer versions aren't quite so brittle anymore though.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dallardice:
(of course, I have no way of knowing if this is true)</font>
Sure you do...
Old Oct 23, 2003, 4:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
LH747FTL, the first Finland EU-style passports were indeed horrible... but a friend of mine handled it in style. Departing from country X, the photo page came off in the hands of the immigration agent stamping him out, and he was on his way to notoriously picky Narita. What to do?

No problem: he just tucked the page back in, and at immigration handed the passport nonchalantly to the officer. Officer opened passport, page came off, friend acted shocked and started yelling "What are doing! You broke my passport!" Completely mortified immigration guy desperately attempted to repair passport while apologizing and bowing frantically... and my friend made it through in about 10 seconds flat.

Incidentally, if your Finnish passport falls apart, replacements (with the same validity) are free. The newer versions aren't quite so brittle anymore though.
</font>
Great story!

I suppose I better go to the local police station and get a replacement before going to BKK/MNL/SIN.

Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had this issue with my previous passport within one year of getting it. It did not help that when the lamination was lifted, some genius at Buenos Aires emigration (not immigration) tried to pick the lamination and photo up even more than originally.

I was so furious on 9/4/01 that I composed a letter to State and to the Argentine Foregin Ministry to complain about this. I was supposed to send the letter, but a week later I was on a flight from New York and thought other things far more important for me and for others.

I travelled with this 1999-issued Argentine-damaged passport until August 2002 and only once (at Heathrow) was it even mentioned -- (a la "you may want to get a new passport so that if this is stolen no one can misuse it as the lamination is already partially off"). I used it for a few more months (even Narita) after that London note, and with my passport nearly full, lamination coming off, I went into the DC Passport Office and they re-laminated it for free. But upon hearing that we were raising the rates for new US passports a few weeks later (Sept 2002), I said I will just get this passport cancelled and get a new 48-pager with the new security features since it would be cheaper to get a new expedited passport that very day in Aug. 2002 than get a passport a few weeks later (since the feews were jumping up). Also, I would have a passport for a few more years that would have a picture of me with hair. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.