Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Prefer chain hotels or independent hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Do you prefer staying in chain hotels or independent hotels, particularly when traveling outside your home country?

Standard pros of chain hotels:
A consistent product (one hopes)
Opportunity to collect points (in some cases)
Might be more access to multilingual staff, etc.
Possibly safer

Standard cons of chain hotels:
Bland consistency (sort of like going to a chain restaurant)

Standard pros of independent hotels:
More interaction with the locals (maybe)

Standard cons of independent hotels:
Quirky staff
Impossible to remedy a bad situation

So which do you prefer overall, or does it really just depend? I'm considering the issue for Paris in particular, but would be interested in general or specific comments for anywhere.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Hmm, taller half and I seem to diverge on this issue.

I like chain hotels (okay, I like chain hotels who like me), she likes independent
hotels or smaller chains.

We're going to DC this week and staying at Hyatts, why?

Suite upgrade, good location, free with faster free nights, good gym and amenities.

We're travelling to Edinburgh in mid March and will probably stay at a small hotel or inn. Why, none of the chains that I have looked at look so hot and there is a plethora of interesting looking hotels to try there.

If I didn't have the hyatt faster free nights to redeem, we would probably be looking at the Tabard Inn or one of the Kimpton hotels near Dupont Circle.

As a rule, I refuse to stay in b&bs.

lala
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
When traveling in the USA or Asia, chain hotels (are there any others???)

Europe and Australia, mostly independent, they are far better.

As a rule, I never eat in a hotel restaurant.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For me, it varies by city. In Paris or London, I'd never consider a chain hotel - I like the smaller boutique places. In Chicago or New York, I generally want the chain hotel in which I will get the best treatment (e.g., the one that in which I have a good status that will translate to an upgrade, expedited check-in, and/or lounge access).

We also like B&B's in a lot of locations. I guess you could say that if I'm traveling somewhere known for charming independent hotels or B&B's, I prefer those over anything else. If not, then I want the perks and points that come with the big chains.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:21 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
In the USA, if it's not a chain hotel, STAY AWAY. If a motel can't even meet the standards of Clarion or Motel 6, your advantage of "interacting with the locals" is actually a big disadvantage.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:53 pm

Sorry for going a little off-topic here, but...

lala, which of the Kimpton hotels do you prefer? I've been looking for somewhere to stay in DC for a weekend, and these look like interesting hotels.

thanks!

(edited to clarify what I am talking about..)

[This message has been edited by MichaelCharlie (edited Feb 27, 2004).]
Old Feb 27, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MichaelCharlie:
lala, which of the Kimpton hotels do you prefer? I've been looking for somewhere to stay in DC for a weekend, and these look like interesting hotels.</font>
If I can interject, as I live in the Dupont Circle 'hood -- the Madera and Rouge are very nice. Helix has gotten good reviews, but I have no first (or second) hand knowledge of that hotel.

As far as location: Madera is 1 blk from the Circle, Rouge and Helix about 4 blks from the Circle, if that matters to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.