Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the history of "Saturday Night Stay Required"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)

This has always seemed pretty arbitrary to me. Does anyone know how this started and why airlines insist on this for many discounted fares?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
The idea is to charge more for business travelers who are spending OPM and less for leisure travelers who are spending TOM. They figure anybody staying over a Saturday night must be a leisure traveler.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I always felt that it is a way of being able to advertise low prices and then engage in bait and switch.

Once a businessman finds out that he will have to stay Saturday night, and add two hotel nights to his expenses, he goes for the higher fare and leaves on Monday morning.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
I always felt that it is a way of being able to advertise low prices and then engage in bait and switch.</font>
The glass half full answer is that it was a way for airlines to offer lower fares to leisure travelers without cannibalizing their business traveler revenue.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:52 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
Even travelling on business I sometimes still fly out on a Saturday becasue it saves so much money. It does at least then mean that I can do some sightseeing on the Sunday and am rested before going to the office on Monday
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mbstone:
The idea is to charge more for business travelers who are spending OPM and less for leisure travelers who are spending TOM. They figure anybody staying over a Saturday night must be a leisure traveler.</font>
Exactly. Full-Y flyers departing ORD on Thurdsay morning for LAX generally want to depart Friday after lunch to get home Friday evening, not on Sunday morning.

Business travelers generally detest being away from home on Saturday and Sunday, so the Saturday night stay evolved as a fairly good proxy for separating business flyers from leisure flyers.

Nowadays, however, more and more business flyers are willing (forced?) to put up with weekend travel to save a buck (or thousands).
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:46 am

The saturday night stay rule is being eliminated by some of the airlines--like Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.