HKG Airport tax increase!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.

In June 2003 I 'bought' a OneWorld awAArd with AAdvantage miles (J, 150K) & flew this winter. On departing HKG on Feb. 3, the CX gate agent says that the departure tax was rasied on Jan. 9/2004 from the HK$80 which I paid at tikcet issuance, to HK$120, so he required HK$40 from me.
I paid & was given an official receipt stub. But aren't old tickets supposed 2B grandfathered at pre-increase rates?

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:38 pm

Buzz?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:17 pm

Same thing happened when I flew an award ticket on United.

[This message has been edited by teeman (edited Feb 15, 2004).]
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:11 pm

Pretty chitzy, but a sign of the times I suppose. I'll be at HKG later this week... thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:07 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
For archiving purposes, I am going to move this to "TravelBuzz", as it is the most likely place people should search for the info. Also, this is not specifically related to mileage programs.

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: BA
Yet another example of Public Servant attitude to pricing.

50% increase in charges. No additional service for it. Just keep on screwing air travellers. They are all millionaires and will never notice.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
50% increase in charges. No additional service for it. </font>
Well, considering that HKIA suffered passenger traffic drop of close to 70% last summer season due to SARS, it is easy to see where the budgetary shortfall came from.

What would you rather see HKIA do? Go bankrupt and make you fly to Macau and swim over?

Old Feb 16, 2004, 9:24 am

Programs: BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
What would you rather see HKIA do? </font>
Now Cathay I believe also suffered a passenger drop of this magnitude last summer. But I don't see them just saying to passengers with already paid for tickets "Hey, give us another 50%, no argument, because it was tough for us last year".

Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Yet another example of Public Servant attitude to pricing.

50% increase in charges. No additional service for it. Just keep on screwing air travellers. They are all millionaires and will never notice.
</font>
Actually, IIRC it used to be HKD 120, and was at that level for many years. We should regard the HKD 80 as a special offer discounted rate in response to SARS, which is basically what it was. We are not being "screwed" now.

But I do agree that they should have used the normal method of basing tax on the date of ticket issue so that people who have already paid the tax on their issued tickets don't have to fork out extra.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

A number of us left HKG today after the HKG FT Do. We had an interesting range of experiences.

1) FTer A had 40 HKD additional collected.
2) FTer B had 120 HKD collected.
3) FTer C had no additional collect.

All 3 of us were flying on UA issued tickets, so it was a bit mystifying that one had no HKG tax initially collected by UA as part of the ticket fare.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
A number of us left HKG today after the HKG FT Do. We had an interesting range of experiences.

All 3 of us were flying on UA issued tickets, so it was a bit mystifying that one had no HKG tax initially collected by UA as part of the ticket fare.
</font>
It IS mystifying.
If you look in each ticket's Fare Calculation area, you can find "HK" followed by an amount in currency of the country where purchased. Mine said $10.80 (USD).

Who knows? Maybe someone paid CAD$16 tax & the employee mistook it for USD & thought that the higher tax had been fully paid .

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:

</font>
They collected $40HKD when I checked in at Airport Express but Izzik didn't have to pay when he checked in at the airport -- both UA tickets. I was told it had to do with when you bought your ticket, but the tax increase was effective in January .
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:15 am

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
If I need to pay an increase tax, will they take credit cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.