Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thailand, 6 days - BKK only, or BKK, Phuket and Chiang Mai

Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I've got 6 days in Thailand and want to see a lot. There is a 'discover Thailand fare' for $179, for BKK-Chiang Mai-Phuket-BKK.

I'm torn...I'd love to see all those places, but partly I wonder if I'd see anything except airports. Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:12 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Trying to do all that (BKK-HKT-CNX) in six days sounds exhausting. You'll spend a lot of time in the airports, or on your way to or from them.

With six days, I would choose one place, or maybe two (BKK and one other destination).

- Michael
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:26 am

I agree with Michael. Pick one place other than BKK (where I currently am). The travel will eat up a good part of the day.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:47 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
3 places only if you will probably not be back for years - and if so, start NOT with Bangkok but fly directly to one of the other two places first.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:41 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
...start NOT with Bangkok but fly directly to one of the other two places first.</font>
I think routings like this are rare indeed for travellers from the US. The typical (and nice!) schedule (on UA, NW) is (US)-NRT-BKK, daylight to Tokyo and evening flight into BKK, arriving close to midnight, so you have to overnight in BKK. (I don't know what the train options are.)

For BKK research, I liked "The Treasures and Pleasures of Thailand: Best of the Best" (I used the 1995 book - 2003 version is out now), but the same authors' Paris guide struck me that they might be idiots... Some line about having to spend a lot of money for a good meal in Paris...

Anyway, their BKK guide was helpful in finding higher-end shopping in BKK. And get your hotel concierge to write out the address you need in Thai. Some of the shops are hard to find, but it's worth the effort if you want to find well-priced, higher-end shopping. The night market is not the place for this!

I trust you know about using BiddingForTravel.com or BetterBidding.com for tips on using Priceline to get a beautiful hotel for a great price?

Happy travels. BKK is a fabulous place for shopping and food, food, food everywhere.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:48 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
You are trying to do too much.

I am on my third trip to Thailand in a year. The suggestion would be to do 2-3 days in Bangkok and then head to Phuket for beach or Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai for night market, hill country, I would rent a car in Chiang Mai. Renting depends on what you want to do and where you stay in Phuket. Driving in Phuket is a pain in the @**.

Your circle trip saves approximately $60 over one ways. If you do it, you will waste almost a day between Chiang Mai and Phuket even with the non-stop flight.

Out of interest, when are you going? We will be in BKK 2/27-3/2 and probably in the North 3/7-3/15. Taking an inexpensive Bali and Singapore interlude including 5 star hotel for three nights in Dusa Nua for approx. U.S. $400. It will cost additional for the Singapore hotel on a free stopover.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'd do Bangkok, then Phuket. Bangkok will give you a taste of a bustling Asian city. Phuket will be an excellent follow-up with some beachside R&R. You should be able to get BKK-HKT roundtrip tickets on TG (Thai Airways) in business class for around $125. Don't spread yourself too thin because there is plenty to see in each of the cities you are considering visiting.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
I'd do Bangkok, then Phuket. Bangkok will give you a taste of a bustling Asian city. Phuket will be an excellent follow-up with some beachside R&R. You should be able to get BKK-HKT roundtrip tickets on TG (Thai Airways) in business class for around $125. Don't spread yourself too thin because there is plenty to see in each of the cities you are considering visiting.</font>

In 2000 I flew to BKK from London and spent 3 nights there before heading to Phuket. Spent two weeks there at the Chedi, on the west coast of the island and about 20mins from the airport IIRC. Lovely hotel all thatched private cottages from the hillside down the beach. Private beach shared with another hotel, Prince Andrew (the British one) was staying at the Andaman (?) up the beach at the time. Some excellent opportunities for excursions, Phi Phi Islands, beautiful if not a little spoiled since filming of the movie, The Beach. Also the boat trip taken from the east side of the island to Nail Island (from James Bond film 'The Man With the Golden Gun') and more spectcular limestone (I think, I am a Geogrpaher ) scenery and to a village on stilts. Sadly the names of most of the places pass me by

------------------
BA001 London-New York (September 2002) with pictures
Picture Report: New York (September 2002)
Berlin - 30th Aug 03 with pictures
Washington DC & James Madison University (Sept '03) with photos
BA223 (LHR-IAD) in Club World with pictures
Picture Report: Xmas 2003 in Virginia and North Carolina

'There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror'
Orson Welles (1915–1985)
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:05 am

I suggest you cut it down or take more time. They are all worth seeing, but you need more time. First, check the weather variations for each spot. Also, check Koh Samui too. A few days in BKK and the rest at a beach would be hard to beat.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:00 pm

A few hours drive from Bkk you have cha-am and hua hin - both are very nice beach resorts. If you don't mind rustic accomodations I'd also check out Koh Samed - a small island south from Pattaya. River Kwai is a few hours as well and well worth a day trip. Ayuthaya is one hour (or more) north and another great day trip. My suggestion - stay in and around bangkok for the best experience.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 5:43 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by workin_it:
Thanks everyone for the helpful info!</font>
if you are going to chiang rai stay here..www.anantara.com - golden triangle
$$256 for 2 night inc breakfast..
it is beautiful and the service is great. i stayed with this package about 1 month ago
don't use the hotels transfer $50 is to much get a pvt taxi for about $18

Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:01 am

Thailand is one of the greastest countries that I have been to. But don't forget Priceline when coming here they offer some potential great deals for great rates.

KT
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Over Thanksgiving week, I did the following:

Flew LAX-NRT-BKK. Stayed 2 nights in BKK. Met FTers for dinner on 2nd night. I then took separate flight BKK-Chaing Mai. Spent 4 nights there. Flew back to BKK. Had dinner with more FTers. Overnighted in BKK, then flew home early next morning.

Adding Phuket would have made the trip too rushed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.