Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Suggestions Of Places to Stay In London On A Student Budget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions Of Places to Stay In London On A Student Budget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:10 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
One of the best night's rest I had was in heathrow. No joke!

Outside security somewhere there is a hallway to a bathroom, and on the way is a children's play area. It's foam, has pillows, and it has a demi-wall separating you from foot traffic. It's like 4 king-sized mattresses in size.

This is by far the cheapest way to stay in London

http://www.sleepinginairports.com

Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:17 pm

If I wanted to spend $100/night I would definitely use Priceline. Of course, if the Mayflower includes breakfast, you have to consider the value of that.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I figure that since my friend and I will split the bill, $50 a night plus breakfast isn't bad, considering I'd be paying only a tad more than if I were staying in a hostel.

-Robert-
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tom911:
That tends to be the very reason I stay at YHA hostels. I want to sleep

I've probably done a couple hundred hostel stays around the world the last 12 years. I've used private hostels quite a bit in Australia and Ireland, and they've been fine.

</font>
same here... depends what I'm up to.

I stayed at the YHA on Mt Davis in Hong Kong and while I happened to stay there the coldest day of the year in HK, the hostel itself was so nice... the view is awesome.

I stayed at one (Indepedent)in Panama City and it had no AC, and coming straight from cooler CA.. it was HOT, and it was on the 9th floor of this apartment block (plus PTY is SO LOUD ALL THE TIME).

Last hostel I stayed at in buenos Aires was really nice (also indy) but it was full of Israelis, which is fine, but they tended to stay up real late at night (4am or so) talking.

Either way.. there are the pluses, there are their minues.. Plus some guys I met at the Generator met some girls who were also stayin there... so you never know:
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I hesitate to mention my favorite bargain place in London because I would hate for it to get so popular that the price increases or fills up and I cannot get a reservation, but I will make the sacrifice for my friends at FlyerTalk.

We have been staying at the Oxbridge Apartments for the past ten years or so when we visit London. The address is 8 Collingham Road and the flats are about a five minute walk from the Glouchester Road underground station (Circle, District, and Picadilly lines). The flats are basic - nothing fancy but they do have a kitchen with stove, refrigerator, sink, pots and pans, dishes, and silverware. The living area has couches that also serve as beds, television, and a table. The bathrooms have tubs with showers, a toilet, and a sink. Towels are changed every three days or so.

The cost of a studio in summer is 59 pounds per night and drops to 45 or 40 pounds in the winter. They also have one bedroom flats and two bedroom flats. We usually have a studio.

The location is great and a short tube ride to the theatres and cultural sights. There is a Sainsburys grocery store less than two blocks away; there is also a WaitRose grocery store. The neighborhood has a self-service laundry, internet cafes, and lots of restaurants.

The website is www.oxrg.demon.co.uk They also have a toll-free (US) telephone number and fax number.

As I said, it is BASIC but clean. You can save lots of money by cooking in the flat. It is hard to find a better bargain.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert:
I figure that since my friend and I will split the bill, $50 a night plus breakfast isn't bad, considering I'd be paying only a tad more than if I were staying in a hostel.

-Robert-
</font>
Yep, in that case, I totally agree - particularly since you get towels and other hotel amenities!
But I still think Priceline might be a better deal than hotels you can get on other sites.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gt_croz:

Outside security somewhere there is a hallway to a bathroom, and on the way is a children's play area. It's foam, has pillows, and it has a demi-wall separating you from foot traffic. It's like 4 king-sized mattresses in size.

</font>
I've had two great night's sleep in LHR.

Behind an Aer Lingus check-in counter (this probably wouldn't work today, as security would chase you off). Our "wake up call" was at about 7AM when the Aer Lingus agents showed up to work their first flight. You could fit about 8 backpackers comfortably where I slept those two nights (going and coming on late night/early morning flights), and both nights the "hotel" was pretty full.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert:
Have any of you heard of the Mayflower Hotel? It is a Bed and Breakfast in Central London and I can get a room for around $100.00 USD a night? Wondering whether I should book it or not....Any suggestions?

-Robert-
</font>
That rate is great for London, but make sure the Mayflower's definition of "Central London" matches yours. Not that you are going to be neighborhood-picky in that price range, but make sure it's near a tube station and a rough order of magnitude within where you want to be. Chances are it's a perfectly fine (but spartan) 2-star hotel.

When we backpacked Europe in groups of 2-4 people, we always looked for 1- and 2-star hotels (depending on city). We found a lot of wonderful places that were just as cheap as and more secure than a dorm/hostel. We also stayed in a couple of wonderful hostels that had private room options.

In London, I've spent cheap nights in the Earl's Court area (total party area, lots of Aussies , lots of LOUD cheap hotels) and near Great Portland Street (quieter 'hood, but known for having a lot of low-priced B&B-type hotels).
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with the Priceline tip. We stayed in London over Christmas and got a 4* hotel (Novotel Euston - right next to British Library and short stoll to King's Cross/St. Pancras station) for 51 GBP/night. Didn't include b'fast, but everything from Pizza Express to McDonalds is a short walk away, and there are at least six pubs within a couple of blocks for lunch/dinner/plenty of beer.

Hard to beat Priceline!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your great insights! You have generated many ideas for me. This board is awesome

-Robert-
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
About four years ago, I stayed at a place called "Anne Elizabeth House" @ 15 pounds a night. Not too bad with toilets down the hall and showers downstairs. Included breakfast, no curfew.

Anne Elizabeth House Hostel 30 Collingham Place, SW5, T (0171) 370-4821
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
What terminal is that in? I spent the night at Heathrow last Saturday....and it wasn't pleasant. Couldn't find any decently-cushioned seats, so slept on the ground. It was freezing, and I didn't get much sleep at all.

I've spent the night at many airports, and this was by far the worst experience I've ever had.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gt_croz:

</font>
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:41 am

The Travel Inn County Hall is right opposite the Houses of Parliament - a fantastic Location and only £79.99 Fri to Sun and £82.95 Mon to Thur. These rooms are huge and the price is Per Room not Per Person. I could easily have slept 10 people in the room I stayed in. It's a pretty new refurbishment of an impressive old building and all rooms are en-suite (with bathroom).

There are cheaper Travel Inns dotted around London:

http://www.travelinn.co.uk/TI/index.jsp?page=sear ch_postcode&qasPickItem=nearest2:loc:LONDON:1&orig inalSearch=LONDON&expr1=-1

Travelodge also do rooms in London for £30 per room - sleeps 4 - this is a bargain!

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_t...ndon&x=17&y=11

[This message has been edited by martinius (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
$100 a night is a student budget?!

I definitely went to university at the wrong time.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
https://www.accomline.com/index.asp

This site has some really good prices. They are prepaid so can help you budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.