The best airport to bring scissors to

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The best airport to bring scissors to

The I-C in ZRH gave me scissors (cuticle set) as an amenity but I didn't open the box til security in GOT told me there were scissors in my bag. Instead of arresting me as a terrorist, they kindly watched my bag and directed me to the information desk. At the information desk they gave me an envelope and sold me the right about of stamps to send my scissors home. It cost about $3 total. I went back to security, grabbed my bag and went to the gate. Everyone was calm and pleasant. All in all, a very pleasant experience that I doubt anyone could expect at LAX, JFK or DCA.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Wow, another reason to celebrate - a potential hijacking averted, thanks to the smart catch of those scissors!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:03 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Same thing happened to me. I had not flown for about a year post 9/11. It did not even occur to me to remove my big fat 20 or so blade swiss army knife that I always carried as standard equipment when I traveled... well... it did occur to security at SFO!

They did the same thing. Handed me an envelope and told me I had a choice: Mailbox or the dumpster. No muss no fuss. The knife was waiting for me at the PO when I got home.

I hear they are selling all the stuff from the dumpster on Ebay.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The couple of times I have been stopped with things I didn't realise I could take through LCY, the security agents, informed me that the airlines are used to taking small bags for checked luggage, and that, if I wanted to take it with me, just to pop downstairs and someone would sort it out.

But then, LCY is all RJs (you land on an old dock - the biggest plane that can serve it is an ARJ). But it's easily the friendliest, most efficient airport I've had the pleasure of flying through in recent years.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:23 am

Programs: BA
Best airport for scissors is undoubtedly Belfast International, for as you queue for security there is an enormous glass box in the middle with all the thousands of seized scissors, metal combs, Swiss army knives etc, on display, which makes the point beautifully and is always the centrepiece of discussion for those queueing.

So the scissors can live out their remaining life with all their friends!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A couple months after 9/11, I was stopped with a penknife in my pocket at CLT. Security wanted to relieve me of it but having belong to my father, it had sentimental value. He suggested I take it to the US desk and ask for it to be placed in "will-call". I did and it was waiting for me when I got back the following day.

Two weeks later, it fell out of my pocket somewhere and I haven't seen it since.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Best airport for scissors is undoubtedly Belfast International, for as you queue for security there is an enormous glass box in the middle with all the thousands of seized scissors, metal combs, Swiss army knives etc, on display, which makes the point beautifully and is always the centrepiece of discussion for those queueing.

So the scissors can live out their remaining life with all their friends!
</font>
Do I remember seeing a glass case of prohibited items somewhere in ATL?

Should have a label on it, "In case of evil thoughts, break glass."
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Maybe I shouldn't post this, I don't want things to get any sillier than they are, but I had an interesting experience last week.

I was flying through DFW and got airside through security with no problem. Having some extra time, I looked for little gifts for my kids. My son loves airplanes so I picked up a little five dollar die-cast model of some fighter jet and stuffed it in my laptop case.

As I sat in my seat and pulled my laptop for some work I took out the jet and looked at it a little, thinking about how much my son was going to love it. Then I discovered the sad horrible truth. The nose of the jet was a very strong sharp pointy metal object. All of the precautions and diligence of the TSA had been thwarted by an airside vendor.

I was so distraught by this that I was tempted to throw myself down in the aisle and plead for mercy. I wanted to cry for everyone who could possibly have been affected by my terrible mistake. I looked furtively at the business man next to me. Did he look suspicious? A little distant? Had he seen the jet toy? Was he going to TEAR IT FROM MY HANDS and commit unspeakable horror!?

I took a sip from my drink and clutched my laptop case firmly in my lap. Uneasily, I flew home.

Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
At the information desk they gave me an envelope and sold me the right about of stamps to send my scissors home. It cost about $3 total. I went back to security, grabbed my bag and went to the gate. Everyone was calm and pleasant. All in all, a very pleasant experience that I doubt anyone could expect at LAX, JFK or DCA.</font>
This happened to me at ORD shortly after 9/11 (October, I think). First flight after 9/11, I had forgotten to take my Swiss Army knife out of my briefcase. Security guy (pre-TSA) directs me to a gift shop across from security (Terminal 1) where I buy a greeting card and stamps. I address and stamp the envelope, he puts the knife in teh envelope and drops it in a mailbox. I get my knife back in a week!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:35 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

The UA staff at SNA let me put my scissors in an envelope and then took them and help them behing the counter until I flew back in. All I had to do was go to the ticket counter and say they were holding an envelope and voila!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
In March '02 I was flying out of Bucharest. I had bought a lovely antique letter opener for the office receptionist and had thoughtfully packed it in my checked luggage. I didn't realize that I had to go through security before getting to the ticket counter. They promptly found the letter opener and the 8 or so security guards/army rangers with machine guns gasped out loud (not kidding!) Scary moment as I tried to explain in most any language I could think of (no time to pull out the Romanian phrase book!) that I wished to check the bag. Shortly before I was to be shipped to the Gulag, I thought of the universal word "cargo". They nodded their heads and looks considerably less tense - and sent three guards with me and my bag to make sure I checked it. Phew.
So perhaps this should have been added to the "worst airports for scissors" thread.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
Try CDG (Paris)

They have a transparent bin where they collect them...next to xray in security... so you see all the stuff they've confiscated in there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.