Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recomendations for Hotel in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Recomendations for Hotel in Rome

Looking for some ideas for a night in Rome. I am taking the train back to Florence. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget isn't super tight but I am not looking to drop 500 Euro a night either. Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:29 am

For a quick stay in Rome I like the Hotel Colosseum on Via Sforza. It's in a fairly quiet section near Santa Maria Maggiore. This means it's not far from the train station.

One thing I like about it is the rooftop terrace. They don't have a bar, but I took up a bottle of red wine and my travel wine glasses and had a nice drink and enjoyed the view of ancient Rome.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We stayed at the Hotel Napoleon in the same area a year ago. The Vittore Emanuel Metro station was right out the door- a nice plus. Newly renovated, pleasant, helpful staff and a nice buffet breakfast. For 4 nights, 2 double rooms and a smaller single room (my son was with us) it was 1000 Euros. They're at http://www.napoleon.it .
Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:59 am

We stayed at the Albergo Cesari, smack between the Pantheon and Trevi fountain, not too far from Termini. It is 15 minutes walk tot the Ancient Forum, and about 10 minutes to Piazza Navona.
I don't know what the rates are but for the location it was pretty reasonable when we stayed there in 2001. They have a web presence, though it often changes, just google it.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:02 am

My brother in law often recommends the Hassler. Right at the top of the Spanish steps. I've heard from many others that this is the hotel in Rome. My father recently stayed at the INTERCONTINENTAL-DE-LA-VILLE. He was not impressed and said it was ok. Last summer I stayed at the atlante Star (closer to the Vatican). Stay away from this and it's sister hotel, the Atlante Garden.

Check out tripadvisor.com and search the forum labeled Europe (Eastern / Western) for hotels.

[This message has been edited by chobby100 (edited Feb 12, 2004).]
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:03 am

sorry, dupe

Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chobby100:
My brother in law often recommends the Hassler. Right at the top of the Spanish steps. I've heard from many others that this is the hotel in Rome. My father recently stayed at the INTERCONTINENTAL-DE-LA-VILLE. He was not impressed and said it was ok. Last summer I stayed at the atlante Star (closer to the Vatican). Stay away from this and it's sister hotel, the Atlante Garden.

Check out tripadvisor.com and search the forum labeled Europe (Eastern / Western) for hotels.

</font>
Chobby,
We had reservations for the Atlante Garden and cancelled them after we read some bad, bad comments about their hotel. Instead we stayed at the Intercontinental. We liked it very much. I had joined the 6 Continents Club and they upgraded us to a $1000 a night suite on a 260 euro rate (when the exchange was l:l)

Maybe it wasn't perfect, but it was very very nice. And the location was perfect. I'd stay there again happily.

Rita
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:20 pm

I actually won the Atlante Garden on Pricline and was upgraded to the Star as they had no non-smoking rooms left. The place is unbelievable for a 4 star + like they claim. We moved three times within that hotel. On the + side it included free breakfast (which you often don't get with priceline).

I should note that my dad is not exactly the best int'l traveller. He tends to think that American standards = int'l standards. He also loves the In'tl Barclay in NY. He didn't hate it, but wasn't pysched.

We found great places to stay in Venice and Florence via Rick Steves books.

Another hotel in Rome my brother in law likes is Hotel de Russie - http://www.hotelderussie.it/
Certainly looked cool from the outside and also very near the Spanish Steps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.