FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you think when a colleague is slow while travelling? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/298118-what-do-you-think-when-colleague-slow-while-travelling.html)

seat 50J Feb 6, 2004 3:33 pm

What do you think when a colleague is slow while travelling?

I just came back on a trip with a business colleague. I'm usually quite quick. Walk fast, quick check-in at the kiosk, instant check-out with the rental car, etc. The other guy is slow. He walks slowly. He checks in bags which slow things up considerably. He likes to check in very early and waits in the line, not the no-line electronic check-in line.

Does this drive you up the wall? For me, it was fine but I have a slightly lower opinion of the guy now. Boy, is he slow I now think. Before, I thought he only had trouble meeting deadlines.

pinniped Feb 6, 2004 3:49 pm

I'll never forget my first business trip. I was 21, a greenbean at a big consulting firm. Before my first trip, the two guys I was traveling with (both seasoned veterans) gave me the rundown on checking bags. Basically, the rule was simple: you check a bag, we kick your ***.

I had always flown before age 21 - I studied abroad and was familiar with a lot of the world's major airports - but business travel was a way different beast. It took me a couple of flights, but I soon became a pro at moving FAST through just about any airport/rental car/cab/hotel situation.

ermdjdsj Feb 6, 2004 6:00 pm

Not everyone likes the "life in the fast lane" approach. They may keep themselves calm and their blood pressure low by taking it easy, arriving early so there's no anxiety the plane will be missed, walking slowly to avoid getting all sweaty (or perhaps because of a health problem?), etc. The checking of a bag may be to avoid the anxiety of not having overhead compartment space (especially if not in F), or because they pack a lot of stuff they need or think they need.

Of course, if this slowness results in a missed connection, or a missed meeting, or something else serious, you (or his boss) may need to have a friendly word with him about future trip planning (or perhaps looking for a job that doesn't require allegro behavior with a largo personality http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif)

monahos Feb 6, 2004 6:58 pm

I only travel (and work) with colleagues who are efficient enough not to make me wait, and polite enough not to mind waiting for me http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

hhonorman Feb 6, 2004 7:06 pm

He who travels alone travels fastest.

prncess674 Feb 6, 2004 7:57 pm

why do you have to babysit him? Check in using the machine and go cool your jets in the club. Even if I am on the same flight as colleague, we don't travel "together". I always have my own rental car. Everyone is responsible for themselves.

GG Feb 6, 2004 8:15 pm

We all have different strengths, I say to myself while Going Crazy behind the 20 something guy who takes 10 minutes taking his shoes off and groping around his bags...

I am neither very young nor swift to run but, By Ghod, am I fast in airports!

OTOH, I travelled with our best helper to a major convention a while back, and she IS slow at airports - not experienced and not able to move fast. Getting off an elevator to an airline club, she took about 5 extra seconds to get oriented, and I caught the look of disgust of the business jerk behind her gave. It was really so petty - and so stupid. We actually got into the club faster, as he hadn't bothered to have his ID out and ready, which I of course did...

Yes, "general slow" drives me up the wall. But do I think less of my friend? No, because I know that her patience does things properly that I can't do properly because of my impatience.

If your colleague isn't suited to what he's doing, that's waaay out of my ability to comment on. The different travel styles, maybe you can arrange just not to travel together?

Oh, and I really did learn a tiny bit of extra patience from the business jerk.

------------------
email on profile

lili Feb 6, 2004 9:01 pm

Worse is being married to the slow traveler.

When we travel together we use the same car park, the same shuttle, the same airport trip after trip. No surprises. Alone it's 20 minutes max from plane to driver's seat. Letting spouse lead, it once clocked out at 1:05. Nevermore.

I still "allow" a restroom stop after a 1:30 flight, but other than that you better be moving steadily until you're home. Yes I'm a *****.

shuuy Feb 6, 2004 9:15 pm

Sounds like any family vacation to me. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

Pickles Feb 6, 2004 9:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lili-dui:
Worse is being married to the slow traveler.

When we travel together we use the same car park, the same shuttle, the same airport trip after trip. No surprises. Alone it's 20 minutes max from plane to driver's seat. Letting spouse lead, it once clocked out at 1:05. Nevermore.

I still "allow" a restroom stop after a 1:30 flight, but other than that you better be moving steadily until you're home. Yes I'm a *****.

</font>
Mrs. Pickles was in an accident about 10 years ago. She walks and moves slowly, and has difficulty orienting herself. I am completely opposite, and can't stand slow people in airports/trains/anywhere. Drives me nuts.

For Mrs. Pickles, I'll make an exception. Her passport is now up to her second set of additional pages already, so I've made many exceptions...

DaDOKin DC Feb 6, 2004 10:05 pm

There are two types of people, and you can tell by the way they uses a moving sidewalk:

1. One type walkson the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in less time with the same effort.

2. The other type stands on the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in the same time with less effort.

Sounds like most FT'ers fall ini group 1.

------------------
Da DOK

[This message has been edited by DaDOKin DC (edited Feb 06, 2004).]

redbeard911 Feb 6, 2004 10:55 pm

I don't know what the proper etiquette is regarding travelling with an associate. I have my system down to a science, from what to pack, what to wear, where to exit the airport shuttle, etc. I have no problem going straight to the 1K line when they're GM. I either wait, or head to the gate. I like to get to the gate area or club and wait there, usually with a snack. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

JPB Feb 7, 2004 12:48 am

I just leave them and say I'll meet them at the other end. Even if they are quick all we end up doing is talking work the whole time and for me the travel should be the calm before the storm of a work week.

WHBM Feb 7, 2004 3:33 am

A sad tale of a colleague who didn't keep up with me ...

He was slow even getting out of the office so I set off first (we were flying London Stansted to Dublin, about 6.00 pm), when check in closed he was still on the road and thus had to pay again (this being Ryanair) for the next plane an hour later.

I flew to Dublin as planned and rented the car, then waited for him but in the meantime the fog came down at Dublin, they were held overhead for a while then diverted to Belfast. I drove to the hotel.

They sat at Belfast until about 11.00 pm, no weather improvement, only then did the airline think of organising buses to Dublin, he was put out there at 3.00 am confronted by a closed airport and a 200-person queue for non-existent taxis. Eventually made it to the hotel just as the breakfast service was starting.

Moral of the story .... keep up !!

ATLpax Feb 7, 2004 10:35 am

When I've had to travel with a slow colleague, I usually offer to help carry something - and just generally try to lead the way, as the slowness is usually related to infrequent travel.

I'm usually trying to make it through the airport as quickly and efficiently as possible. For example, I have my shoes off and laptop out of my briefcase while still waiting in the security line. Yes, I feel frustrated when the people in front of me are slow, but I've really tried to be understanding of people who do not travel frequently, or don't feel the need to do things quickly.

I think that being organized and efficient are some of the qualities that enable me to maintain a heavy workload while on the road.

I try, whenever possible, to avoid "amateur days" at the airport (Friday and Sunday, especially). The security line will move slowly, no one will have ID ready, etc.