Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you think when a colleague is slow while travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think when a colleague is slow while travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLpax:
When I've had to travel with a slow colleague, I usually offer to help carry something - and just generally try to lead the way, as the slowness is usually related to infrequent travel.

I'm usually trying to make it through the airport as quickly and efficiently as possible. For example, I have my shoes off and laptop out of my briefcase while still waiting in the security line. Yes, I feel frustrated when the people in front of me are slow, but I've really tried to be understanding of people who do not travel frequently, or don't feel the need to do things quickly.

I think that being organized and efficient are some of the qualities that enable me to maintain a heavy workload while on the road.

I try, whenever possible, to avoid "amateur days" at the airport (Friday and Sunday, especially). The security line will move slowly, no one will have ID ready, etc.
</font>
Bingo. It's not about whether or not you check bags. It's about how travel savvy you are, and how quickly and easily you can navigate your way through the various airport traffic stops. I happen to be very adept at this, which tends to annoy my less traveled colleagues.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
It all depends on time. If you're running late or want to be somewhere immediately, then you hurry. If I'm flying on DL out of Austin, they don't have a lounge. So there's no real point in hurrying through if there is time to spare.

Same goes for a connection. Unless I want to hurry up and wait in a lounge, the less time I move between gates the more time I spend sitting at my next gate!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

"I'm going to stop in here (bathroom), I'll meet you at the Red Carpet Club" works good for a colleague.

Mrs. 1K_From_SNA normally is still standing there when I come out, so I haven't figured out a better approach yet.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have very little patience when travelling on business so I try to avoid travelling with colleagues on business.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
Despite not being a business traveller, I travel like one. Must be all of those years of vacation travel with my dad. Between no bag checking, gate(in the good old days)/kiosk check-in, keys in coat pocket, and just general speed, I have amazed every friend I've ever travelled with. I once got in a bit of trouble for getting very far ahead of a school group that I was travelling with.

I hit the airport premesis, and I go full-bore. If whoever I'm travelling with can't keep up, then they're on their own.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Isn't it less effort - same distance, fewer number of steps? (But then again, what kind of FTer would fuss over such a minute point. )

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DaDOKin DC:
1. One type walkson the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in less time with the same effort.

2. The other type stands on the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in the same time with less effort.
</font>
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I am an old woman but I am in fabulous shape (as is Hunki) and I/we zip right through airports at high speed. At our home airport, where we have the privilege of elite status security bypass, we are almost always in the club within ten minutes from airport arrival. When our employees fly with us, they are expected to keep up, and they do.

Now, our daughter is a totally different story. She is an artist and musician and marches to her own drummer. We have learned to let her do her own thing. To date she has never missed a flight, so we are cool with her casual and circuitous airport routes.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Whoops. Dupe!

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hhonorman:
He who travels alone travels fastest.</font>

That's my mantra.

Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

That's what I think when a colleague travels slowly. I'm glad I'm not alone.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Nothing makes me happier than to stride off the plane, past baggage claim, out the doors, across the street and into the seat of my rental car without slowing down. Co-workers who insist on checking a bag, I don't travel on the same itin with more than once.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:37 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seat 50J:

Does this drive you up the wall? .
</font>
YES!!!!
But I am a very impatient person by nature.
I hate waiting in lines, I hate traffic, and I hate slow people.
You snooze you lose.

If you want to move slow, then move to the West Coast.

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I don't have a clue as to whether I'm slower or faster than the next man (or woman) when going thrugh an airport. If I did know this ultimate truth, I'm sure I would care deeply about it for a minute or so. I do know that the following phrase works very well:

"I'm making my own way there. I'll meet you at the gate"

Not very sociable I know but I do get to check my bags in early (I like turning up early), get whatever shopping I need (especially wnen flying on a budget airline) and relax for half an hour (or more if it's in the evening and drinks are free) in whatever executive lounge I can get into.

Finally, I repeat as I have before: Travel is as stressful as you make it. I suppose other people could make travel more stressful but I'm yet to find one who couldn't be side-stepped.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:02 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, this is where being a smoker is a definite advantage.

"Oh, you've to wait for your luggage? No problem, I'll be in the smoking room just past the arrivals shop."

(The other time being a smoking traveller is incredibly useful is when you arrive in the kind of place you get besieged by touts on arrival. You simply stand outside, have a ciggie, and by the time you're finished, you've completely sized the situation up. All the same, I should give up...)
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DaDOKin DC:
There are two types of people, and you can tell by the way they uses a moving sidewalk:

1. One type walkson the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in less time with the same effort.

2. The other type stands on the moving sidewalk -- that way they get to their destination in the same time with less effort.

Sounds like most FT'ers fall ini group 1.

</font>
Actually, there's type 1.5 -- the kind that walks too slow on the moving walkway. Those people are the worst, because they block you, but you can't get past them.

Can you guess which type I am?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.