Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for day trip to the Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Recommendations for day trip to the Grand Canyon

Hi,

I plan to be in Vegas for 3 days, first time there and was considering taking one of those days taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon... what do other think about this? is it worth doing?

If worth doing, which bus operator would you recommend? I've also seen flights there where they drop you off, and then take you back, are these worth the cost? safe? etc?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:57 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Read the Las Vegas forum - I've heard of people asking there before.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:30 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I did the Las Vegas-Grand Canyon thing last summer. Rather than a day trip, if you can stay at least a day, I would recommend driving up and staying at one of the lodges on the Rim. This way you get to see the great sunrises/sunsets. It also allows you to make a stop at Hoover Dam (though the bus trip might do this too--dunno), or time permitting visiting some of the other sites around the Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good question. I'm sort of in the same boat. We are staying in Flagstaff but will drive to the Canyon for the day (in March) and then drive back to Flagstaff for the night. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Humble Silver, Amex plat, Hilton Hhonors Gold,Elite Exec National
The Grand Canyon is just so magnificent itis worth three days of anybody's time. We stayed in GC City (Just outside the NP) The walks and viewing areas are awsome - you really get a different astounding view all along the South Rim. (Haven't had time to do the North Rim yet) If the weather is clear, take a helicopter flight asap - worth every penny. Been fortunate to have seen lots of wonderful places, but Grand Canyon, for me and mine, is the best.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I think staying in the park for one night is worthwhile. You get two great sights, the stars at night and the dark are incredible (yup, the darkeness is pure black) and you can roll out of bed and catch the sunrise. Both of these are highpoints. Staying in Flagstaff, you may miss both, but you will have more options of hotels and eating.

With a bus, you will most likely be dropped near El Tovar and can walk around but the shuttle to Hermit's rest will not be running in the winter. You probably visit the view center too and make a few more stops. Having a car would be better because you can drive from scenic view stop to scenic view stop and hike if you like.

From Flagstaff, you can drive in early and just make a big circle round from Hermit's rest to Grand Canyon Village to Desert view and back down to Flagstaff. There are lava beds on the way back and the painted desert may be in bloom.

There are few good eateries in the park and the accomodations range from Yavapai/Maswik lodge for $66 a night to El Tovar. Book early for the more expensive places. Staying in Yavapi/Maswik can mean cafeteria food, or just bring your own picnic type stuff.

www.xanterra.com

Fwiw, most tourists come with the bus, get off and walk around for 4 hours and go home. i think they are missing a lot and I am not even talking about the mule ride into the canyon.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:37 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
If you're planning to see the GC in March or early April, be prepared for changeable weather. The first time my wife and I went from LAS to the Canyon, on a day trip by car, it was snowing in late March when we arrived at the south rim, with a raw wind blowing. Our second trip, a few years ago, with a few nights in Flagstaff, and side trips to Sedona and the Canyon, was made in early April. We encountered a blizzard on I-40 from LAS to Flagstaff, with whiteouts for about an hour. Had to pull off the road in Williams until the storm passed, and the sun came out.
But----whenever you go---the Grand Canyon is a sight to behold. Try to see it at sunrise or just before sunset, as the changing colors of the rocks are magnificent. Also, Sedona, just south of Flagstaff off of I-17 and AZ-89 is well worth the drive, with the red rocks, and beautiful mountain views.
So if you're going in the early spring, enjoy, but be ready for changeable weather.

bj-21.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:23 am

Kawoh, if this is your only opportunity to see it then grab the chance. The first time I visited the GC it was on one of those chopper flights from Las Vegas. It was quite a few years ago (9 or 10??) so the name of the company is probably irrelevant but it was so worth the money. We flew over Hoover dam, then over the canyon, landed and had lunch and had plenty of time to just sit and take it all in. Best of all there were no other tourists around where we went so the solitude was amazing! I have been back a couple of times since but that first time is still very special to me.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank you about the weather warning. I hadn't even considered the fact that it might snow---quite ridiculous of me. I'll have my overcoat from NYC so that should certainly help.

I went to the Grand Canyon when I was 12 with my mother and spent several days there including the mule trip. I have wonderful memories of this. Since I'll be in AZ for Spring Training, I really want to take a side trip to visit the canyon again. We'll hvae a full day in the Grand Canyon, spend the night in Flagstaff, and then spend the next day in Sedona to see the Red Rocks.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
We'll hvae a full day in the Grand Canyon, spend the night in Flagstaff, and then spend the next day in Sedona to see the Red Rocks. </font>
I'd stay the night on the Rim instead of Flagstaff (check Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins). Sunset is beautiful, but even that pales in comparison with the most incredible sunrise, which you can follow from one viewing point to another. Truly unforgettable experience (but be prepared for very cold temperatures at the sunrise time)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.