Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How often do YOU stay at $400+/night hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

I was reading thru Conde Nast Traveler yesterday and their current "World's Best Hotels, Resorts, Cruises", which includes 700 properties.

I was amazed that the majority of them showed "$$$$", which defined by the legend was $400+/night There were a few "$$$"'s ($300-399) and a scarce one or two "$$"'s ($200-299).

Sure, they had some amazing properties....and we love a luxury hotel as much as anyone, but $400+? At least on a cruise FOOD will be in this figure

However, to have the reviews and polling results for these properties, obviously people are frequenting them.

Are you one of them? Do you stay at $300+ or $400+ hotels often?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Do I stay in rooms that cost $300 and up often - Yes

Do I ever pay that amount - No.

I don't remember the last time I booked a room that cost over $200, usually hoping the diamond status gets me moved considerably up the room cost levels.

But no, we don't usually stay at those places, and many of those are probably rack rates of $400 and more, don't know many people who pay that either.

Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
many of those are probably rack rates of $400 and more, don't know many people who pay that either.</font>
Whew! That's a relief Makes the list a little more appealing. It would be better if Conde Nast listed realistic rates rather than rack rates (imho).

Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:
Whew! That's a relief Makes the list a little more appealing. It would be better if Conde Nast listed realistic rates rather than rack rates (imho).

</font>
The rates are realistic for many of those properties. It is sad but too often true.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:06 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I usually find I've stayed at a large percentage of the hotels on Conde Nast's "best" lists, but I've never paid anywhere near what they list.

I do sometimes pay $350ish a night, but that's usually for a suite with a rack rate of about double.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Sure I stay at them but I rarely pay the prices!

The room I had in Washington DC recently was priced on the door at $450/night although I got in www.airlinenetwork.net for nearer $100/night

Unless I am staying at a resort hotel I am reluctant to pay high prices as I am out of the room 17hrs a day....unless I get real lucky

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, there are a lot of wealthy people in the world who can afford to & do pay those prices (and some of them are on the luxury hotels forum in FT!), so i would say yup there are folk out there who do. However, I'd guess most FTers don't cuz we're too savvy & get reduced rates. I like the articles where you can rent a villa for $20,000/week.

------------------
Sharon
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Sure I stay at them but I rarely pay the prices!

The room I had in Washington DC recently was priced on the door at $450/night although I got in www.airlinenetwork.net for nearer $100/night

Unless I am staying at a resort hotel I am reluctant to pay high prices as I am out of the room 17hrs a day....unless I get real lucky

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
</font>
Is it possible to book rooms from that site in the US?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arcolaio99:
Is it possible to book rooms from that site in the US?</font>
In all honesty I dont know though I dont see why you couldn't book hotel rooms in the US from the US on it. Although they did send a recepit and voucher through the mail to me after I booked though I didnt actually need this
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
As a frequent business traveler, it's not uncommon for me to stay at a $400+/night hotel. (When I'm in NY or a major European city, it's rare for me to pay less than that.) And it's remarkable how well many of these hotels do. Many of them have no difficulty finding people to pay their rates.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
On my own dime I stay in these places for less money or use points.

I also stay in these places frequently for work events.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
As a frequent business traveler, it's not uncommon for me to stay at a $400+/night hotel. (When I'm in NY or a major European city, it's rare for me to pay less than that.) And it's remarkable how well many of these hotels do. Many of them have no difficulty finding people to pay their rates.</font>

I'm surprised that business accounts pay these types of rates.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:

I'm surprised that business accounts pay these types of rates.
</font>
They generally get shareholders (client's shareholders) to pay for it. I call it part of the 3rd party payor problem.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Are you one of them? Do you stay at $300+ or $400+ hotels often?</font>
I still do at places where it is almost unavoidable like in NYC,Tokyo, London etc. Mostly in a form of a suite, in order to be able to work better, but Thank God it is getting rare to have to pay that much.

At a time where there was little internet and overseas calls were prohibitive, I used to have to pay these rates more often.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GfL
I'm surprised that business accounts pay these types of rates.</font>
They don't, typically, although as a frequent business traveler I do stay in these kinds of hotels. As I work for a large (Dow 30) company, I get corporate-negotiated rates on almost every high-end hotel--not the resorts, obviously, but city properties. I don't think I've ever paid more than $350 a night anywhere, and those high rates have been for NY and London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.