Search

Do you still carry the OAG?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Do you still carry the OAG?

After all these years, I still carry a hard copy of the North American OAG with me when I travel. I like to be able to access the breadth of its flight info for when it's not convenient to access the info on line (like when I sneak it out during a meeting that's running early or late to figure out what alternative flights are available).

Do others still carry it, or have you stopped doing so? For those that do, what changes to its format do you like/dislike?

I like that the North American OAG has been expanded to include direct flights between North American and international destinations. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if they eliminated the "connection" listings: they're incomplete (my understanding is that connections only are listed for airlines that choose to pay for the listing), most of us know how to build convenient connections on our own, and the book would be a lot thinner without them, making it easier to carry.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the OAG as part of my Worldmate application, not all schedules are there so I just sync my PDA through my cellphone when I need routes that are not loaded.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:39 am

I don't carry it myself, but one of my "nearest & dearest" works Dispatch for one of the airlines and swears by it.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I have the OAG as part of my Worldmate application, not all schedules are there so I just sync my PDA through my cellphone when I need routes that are not loaded.</font>
Do you find it as convenient as the hard copy? Obviously it's more convenient not to have to lug the book around, but I kind of like being able to see everything all laid out.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:43 am

Programs: BA
I use Electronic Travel Desk by Goldenware Software, a PC-based product that does a monthly update over the web. It has some useful features like being able to see all schedules to an airport on one scrolling page, sort, select, drop data out to an Excel spreadsheet, and the ability to refer to this all when off-line. It also has a very succinct and readable style, even better than the printed OAG and far better than their screen-based products that take for ever to show all flights.

I think its advantage is that it was actually designed for presenting timetable information. These are the people that do the downloadable system timetables on the OneWorld and Star websites, and this product is an extension of that to all the major airlines. It is not a variation on a booking system.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave it up years ago. The NA edition then was about 90% UA connecting flights and 10% all other airlines.

MisterNice
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I use the paper Skyguide, instead. While its structured differently then the OAG it works fine, and is much cheaper. About four times a year a paper Skyguide or OAG saves my @ss. The cost is worth it.

You can get it through this link for $37.95 for the first year, if you use an Amex card. Note that this sets up an auto-renewal at the then going rate after the first year, but it can be easily cancelled:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...kyguidemag0903
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:58 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
For the sake of space and weight, I stopped using the OAG a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:26 am

Programs: BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Billiken:
For the sake of space and weight, I stopped using the OAG a couple of years ago.</font>
If only they would take out the ludicrous connecting flights and much of the other irrelevancies it would still be a manageable and useful product. OAG editors lost their way on concise presentation long ago.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
Do others still carry it, or have you stopped doing so? </font>
I don't travel near as much anymore for biz so I stopped, loved it when I was traveling quite a bit.

Was happy to see I was just recently targeted with a three free issues to get my biz back. I'll treasure the last copy sent to me as my current copy is from Feb '01 !

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
“I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.”
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
Do you find it as convenient as the hard copy? Obviously it's more convenient not to have to lug the book around, but I kind of like being able to see everything all laid out.</font>

I agree, paper is easier to read, but I don't like carrying around 100's of pages of schedules I'll never need.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:18 pm

I find that ITAsoftware.com is a more than adequate substitute for the OAG book. Most of my travel planning gets done from my office or a hotel room where I have web access, and on the rare occasions when I've needed to do a re-route while at an airport (invariably as the result of weather or a 120 or 240 reroute), I've always had good luck with ticket agents telling me what all my flight options are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.