Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Another "interesting landing" video

Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

We've had a few of these videos in recent months. This is the MD-80 prototype when it was being tested for hard landings.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

(about 1.5 mb)

Actually it was done about twice as hard as the maximum required. But the aircraft, which pulled up on the runway in a nice straight line, notice, was fixed up and lived to fly another day.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:51 am

Programs: /usr/bin
It lived to fly another day?? I don't know if I'd feel comfortable flying on a plane who's tail had to be welded back on

Very interesting video indeed, you can actually see the body of the plane flex somewhere in the middle of the passenger compartment. I've had some landings before that felt like they would look like that.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Old Feb 7, 2004, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gt_croz:
It lived to fly another day?? I don't know if I'd feel comfortable flying on a plane who's tail had to be welded back on

Very interesting video indeed, you can actually see the body of the plane flex somewhere in the middle of the passenger compartment. I've had some landings before that felt like they would look like that.
</font>

Wow really... I dunno about that.. hopefully it still conducted tests and didn't make it into commerical service.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
From the discussion on Another Bulletin Board it looks like this airframe was kept in house by MDC and saw much more service as a test bed.

From www.jetphotos.net/census:-
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">MSN: 48000
L/N: 909
A/C MODEL: MD-81
ENG. MODEL: JT8D-217
DEL. DATE: 1979-10-18
LAST KNOWN OPERATOR: (IASG)
REG. NO.: N560MD
PREV. REG.: [COMMENTS] N980DC [MDC/UHB DEMO][SCRAPPED @ SHERMAN-GRAYSON 1994]</font>
Accident report here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.