FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Cheap (Nice) Hotels in Bali (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/298026-cheap-nice-hotels-bali.html)

workin_it Jan 16, 2004 11:03 am

Cheap (Nice) Hotels in Bali

Any tips or sources for discounted hotels in Bali (April) to take advantage of the travel slump there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

jmail1 Jan 16, 2004 11:46 am

There are too many to name. Every hotel there is cheap relative to the quality and service.

If you have loyality to a particular brand of hotel, chances are they have a location in Nusa Dua. Starwood has two properties there that are amazing.

The Ritz in Jimbaran can be had for ~$100 a night.

If you are looking for more local flavor, stay in Ubud. Book a few days at a hotel in Nusa, then go exploring around to find a local hotel. Expect to spend about $50 for great accomodations with full bath, etc.

I hope you don't mean to take advantage of the wonderful people in Bali.

Think about it when you are haggling between $1 and $1.50 for a t-shirt. They need to money alot more than you do.

workin_it Jan 16, 2004 12:20 pm

Thanks for the information...much appreciated.

With all due respect, why would you assume I would be traveling to Bali (or anywhere) with the intention of taking advantage of poeple? I'm guessing it was a simply a well-intentioned reminder, but at first glance I had to wonder what had caused you to feel this was in order. If anything in my post suggested otherwise, please be assured that my intention is simply to go and enjoy a beautiful place and its people...and to do it on my limited budget.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brj8826:
There are too many to name. Every hotel there is cheap relative to the quality and service.

If you have loyality to a particular brand of hotel, chances are they have a location in Nusa Dua. Starwood has two properties there that are amazing.

The Ritz in Jimbaran can be had for ~$100 a night.

If you are looking for more local flavor, stay in Ubud. Book a few days at a hotel in Nusa, then go exploring around to find a local hotel. Expect to spend about $50 for great accomodations with full bath, etc.

I hope you don't mean to take advantage of the wonderful people in Bali.

Think about it when you are haggling between $1 and $1.50 for a t-shirt. They need to money alot more than you do.
</font>

workin_it Jan 16, 2004 12:27 pm

Just re-read my original post....guess I see why someone might have misunderstood my intentions. My use of the term 'to take advantage of the travel slump' was perhaps unwise. I simply meant to say that given the downturn in travel, I would assume that there are deals to be had...and that a wise consumer would not simply pay rack rates published by US parent companies of local hotels.

I did a google search and came up with 'discount bali hotels' which had the super-value rate of about $450/night for the Ritz Carlton....not what I was expecting.

Sorry for the confusion. Just looking for a fair deal given the circumstances.

jmail1 Jan 16, 2004 12:38 pm

I wouldn't rely on Google to find you the best hotel deals. Their search engine gives you the results that are most visited first.

Chances are if you use words like "discount" and "cheap" when you search you are going to come up with scam sites that either work the search engine logic to their benefit or advertise low prices and tack on outrageous backend fees.

I try to stay away from those consolidator and websites. For Asia especially, those places very rarely give you a better rate than you would get if you call the hotel directly, or better yet just show up if it is off-peak.

Always check the actual hotel website initially to get a baseline.

www.ritzcarlton.com has rooms for $140.

The oceanfront villa is $450. That room has a private plunge pool and is about 800sq ft.

The Westin Nusa Dua is coming up with an $85 rate and the Sheraton Laguna a $100 rate for February.

Mr. Roboto Jan 16, 2004 2:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brj8826:
I try to stay away from those consolidator and websites. For Asia especially, those places very rarely give you a better rate than you would get if you call the hotel directly, or better yet just show up if it is off-peak.</font>
For hotels in S.E. Asia, I've always been able to get a better rate direct from the hotel, especially in the off season. However
you stated that you were planning a trip in April and I believe Australian schools enter a holiday period at that time. (Much like our Spring Break!)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Westin Nusa Dua is coming up with an $85 rate and the Sheraton Laguna a $100 rate for February.

</font>
These rates are for garden view rooms and do NOT include 21% tax/service. Always ask the hotel if the rate quoted is net (tax/service inclusive) or plus plus (exclusive of tax/service).

[This message has been edited by Mr. Roboto (edited Jan 16, 2004).]

MrAOK Jan 17, 2004 11:52 pm

I did not like the big international hotels in bali.

I found the smaller hotels in ubud and lovina were wonderful and further that I liked the idea of moving around. But part of it depends on what you are doing. the big international hotels are generally on the beach, but the balinese culture is more centered in ubud.

There are hundreds of small places in ubud. you don't need reservations.

samee Jan 22, 2004 6:59 pm

A good site for hotels in Bali is www.asiatravel.com.I used them on 3 different occasions.Depending on where you plan to stay 5 good choices are Bali Mandira hotel in Legian,Kuta;Kartika Plaza in Tuban,Kuta;Nusa Dua Beach Hotel in Nusa Dua;Tegal Sari in Ubud;and LeMeridien in Tabanan near Tanah Lot.Any other questions drop me an e-mail & I'll try to help-I've been there alot!

dkc71 Feb 2, 2004 8:01 pm

try this site:
www.balitravelforum.com

Lots of great info. I booked a room at the Oberoi for april for $125/night...