Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

AmEx/VISA/MC: Ever used insurance?

Old Jan 29, 04, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC

A lot of credits cards (let's focus this thread on the "common man's" cards: AmEx, VISA and Mastercard) offer all sorts of insurance packages. Have you ever used:
  • Your credit card's auto rental insurance coverage (secondary)?
  • Your credit card's lost/damaged bag insurance coverage?
  • The trip delay reimbursement coverage (such as offered on UA's VISA Signature card)?
  • Credit card-related travel accident insurance?

I'd love to hear your experiences... good and bad.

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Jan 29, 04, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
Have you ever used:
  • Your credit card's auto rental insurance coverage (secondary)?
  • Your credit card's lost/damaged bag insurance coverage?
  • The trip delay reimbursement coverage (such as offered on UA's VISA Signature card)?
  • Credit card-related travel accident insurance?

</font>
I've used none of the above, but my Visa insurance paid for emergency dental care when a tooth became infected while visiting SAV.

I had no more papers to fill out than I would have with any other insurance policy.

Old Jan 30, 04, 12:41 am

Had a camera stolen a few years ago. Did the paperwork, claim paid in full by MC insurance.
Old Jan 30, 04, 12:52 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

A year ago, someone touched my rented Twingo (AVIS) and I first noticed in the moment I returned the car; it was a small damage about 600 EUR.

The Lufthansa VISA Gold / FTL / Senator has an car insurance for rented cars, and they handled it without problem. They asked me to send a letter about the accident and the Letter, AVIS send to me. The money was during a week on my bank account (even before AVIS Charged my Credit Card).

Old Jan 30, 04, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
FLYGVA, be careful with that insurance. The Lufthansa insurance covers damage to your rented car but does not cover damage to other cars or legal costs. You still have to buy insurance for that.

I have Deutsche Bank Gold Visa and considered switching to the Lufthansa card until I found this out. The DB Visa does cover these other costs -- but not damage to the rented car.
Old Jan 30, 04, 6:51 am

I've used the AMEX rental car coverage after I banged up a Thrifty rental car for about $3k. AMEX covered the deductible after my insurance company paid out. Pretty painless.
Old Jan 30, 04, 11:20 am

About 12 years ago, my hubcaps were stolen from my car. As it was under the $500 deductible it was covered fully by MC
Old Jan 30, 04, 9:07 pm

About 4 years ago was visitng friends and had rented a car from Thrifty; made the reservation with my (Aero)Gold Visa. Later that night went out for dinner and then back to friends house to spend the night. What a surprise when I woke up and the car was GONE. I had parked it on the street, in front of the house, earlier! Called the police and reported the car stolen - got police file number. Called VISA insurance and started the claim, gave them police file number and they gave me their file number. Called Thrifty, reported the car stolen, gave them police file number and VISA file number and they said come by and pick up another car! VISA faxed me a claim form, completed that, faxed it to Thrifty and subsequently signed their release. Thrifty and VISA worked out all the details. Side note - the car was later recovered after being taken for a 'joy ride'. In all, it was quite a painless effort - yet very distressing at the time - and the best thing - no deductible.

Old Jan 30, 04, 9:10 pm

Have also had the 'opportunity' to use the delayed baggage insurance through VISA. Arrived in Las Vegas - no bags. Called VISA and they said ok to spend up to $500 on incidentials. Hey, I had nothing - so everything was incidential. They mailed me a claim form, filled it out and had a cheque within a couple of weeks.

Old Jan 31, 04, 1:39 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
I've recently used Diner's Club insurance for two separate occasions on the same trip; damage on a car rental and lost/stolen PDA on a flight. Car rental damage wasn't covered as the rental company (Thrifty) had put down default ins. coverage and I thought I had declined. PDA claim is still being processed.

[This message has been edited by hauteboy (edited Jan 31, 2004).]
Old Feb 1, 04, 1:08 pm

Several years ago I had a windshield broken by rock in the road. My US regular insurance paid most of the cost but when I tried to claim credit card I was told since I did not report the claim to them within 48 hours of incident I was in violation of the terms. Make sure you know all the requirements for filing claims. You may have to call from overseas or at inconvient times to report the incident on time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: