Reload this Page >

Who's going to the Super Bowl?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's going to the Super Bowl?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I am not going. TV for me, back home in Germany.

Those who go, please write a trip report!
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:51 pm

Any face value tickets available for fellow FTers?!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Flights to Houston are getting pricey, what other airports are a reasonable drive, besides San Antonio and Austin? (Also all sold out.)
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
One word

Rick's

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dugernaut:
My buddy, the Pat's fan is going to the game and called and asked me what to do in Houston? Help me out he's been on hold since Monday. </font>
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:32 pm

The Houston Super Bowl Host Committee is throwing a big four-day party downtown during Super Bowl week, and it's free.

More than 100,000 revelers are expected to fill the streets each night from Jan. 29 through Feb. 1 for what is being dubbed "The Main Event." K.C. and the Sunshine Band, Los Lobos and the Neville Brothers are among 36 music groups that will perform on two outdoor stages in a 16-block area closed to vehicular traffic.

A nightly laser light show that will make Main Street look a lot like Las Vegas is also in the works.

The goal is for an atmosphere resembling New Orleans' Bourbon Street, where partygoers walk from bar to bar in the city's famed entertainment strip.

For the nights leading up to the Super Bowl, the pedestrian-friendly zone will be expanded to include Market Square Park and part of Travis Street between Prairie and Congress.

Nearly continuous musical performances -- ranging from soul to salsa and country to rock -- will take place on two outdoor stages. Event times will be 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. Jan. 29-30; 11 a.m until 2 a.m. Jan. 31; and noon-1 a.m. Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 1).

The Motorola/AT&T Wireless stage, located in a parking lot at Travis and Prairie will feature Molly & the Ringwalds on Jan. 29, Flaco Jimenez and Jerry Jeff Walker on Jan. 30, and Mango Punch, Fito Olivares, Ezra Charles and Commercial Art on Jan. 31. On game day, David Lee Garza will perform in the afternoon; Le Freak and Neutral Sisters take the night shift.

On the Coors Light Stage, located at Main and Texas, Grady Gaines and the Texas Upsetters and K.C. and the Sunshine Band will perform Jan. 29. Los Lobos and Grupo Ka-Che will be headliners Jan. 30, while the Neville Brothers and Marcia Ball take the stage Jan. 31. Delbert McClinton and the Weary Boys are scheduled to perform Feb. 1.

There also will be an alcohol-free zone featuring family-oriented activities in a parking lot at Main and Prairie.

The Main Event is just one of several Super Bowl-related entertainment events set for downtown Houston.

The Coors Light SuperBash, featuring live music by Sammy Hagar, Trick Pony and Better Than Ezra, will take place Jan. 28-Feb. 1 in a tent erected along the streets bounded by Austin, LaBranch, Prairie and Capitol. One-day tickets are $20.

The NFL Experience, a football-themed interactive attraction, will fill the George R. Brown Convention Center Friday through Sunday and Jan. 29 through Feb. 1. Tickets are $15, $10 for children.

Minute Maid Park will be the site for the Bud Bowl featuring country singer Tim McGraw and alternative rock band Staind. The Staind concert will be Jan. 30; McGraw will perform Jan. 31.

And don't forget NASA, the museums, Galveston, golfing, fantastic restaurants, the theater district, the skyline district, new basketball/hockey arena, etc. in the fourth largest city in the nation.

Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
I am not going. TV for me, back home in Germany.

Those who go, please write a trip report!
</font>
Game Report: Maybe
Trip Report: Not a chance!!!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone in Texas know: what's a realistic drive-time from Dallas to Houston? Four hours? 3.5?

CLT-DFW was the only ticket I could get!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:04 am

I think it is 270 miles. My brother is going into Dallas also but got an AA flight to Houston then a CO flight back to Dallas.

Flights for 2/2 are pretty scarce.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Monday after the game is always a pain. I've been to 4 of them, and the funny status symbol is people carrying the free superbowl seat cushion around the airport.

My best/worst routing was CO TPA-TLH-JAX-CLE-EWR.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:59 pm

I'm going this year!

I just need to come up with 9K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Please people, if you could open up you hearts and your wallets to hope a fellow FT'er out. I take Visa, MC, AMEX, PAYPAL, MO's or cashiers checks.

Also, I'll need hotel room in Houston too. A suite would be nice, but a junior suite will work fine too. NO MARRIOTTS or HILTONS PLEASE.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
OK...I've got a place to stay (my own house!). So if you have a game ticket but can't afford the airfare...just send me your ticket. I'll watch the game for you!!

And stop dissin' H-Town. We got the urban sprawl of LA combined with the climate of Calcutta! Can't be beat!

You'll find plenty to do!

Waytogo...Dallas to Houston is about 240 miles...all freeway. 4 or more hours depending on traffic and specific destinations.

Looking for alternate flight destinations, try Austin, Corpus Christi, San Antonio or College Station. Beaumont and Lake Charles are close, but you would have to connect through Houston so no advantage there.

I did a search on ITA for a 1/29 to 2/2 itinerary from Boston to within 300 miles of Houston and the cheapest roundtrip that came up was $374 on ATA into DFW. Cheapest into Houston was $718.

[This message has been edited by Watchful (edited Jan 25, 2004).]
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
dup

[This message has been edited by Watchful (edited Jan 25, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Some friends of mine are flying into New Orleans got tickets from SFO on UA for under $200 I believe, and partying out there, and then driving to Houston. Wish I could make it, since I could go with them and I have friends out there, but no
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:47 pm
KGB

Programs: DL, Marriott, Hilton
ND SOL pretty much covered the basics.

I'm in charge of rail transportation through the city so if your around town over the next week post here or email me and I'll be happy to help you out.

I live about 1 mile from Reliant Park and could walk to the game but I have to work
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I've cashed in 90,000 miles to go from Boston in FC on CO. Sort of expensive, but a good use of miles, IMO.

Staying at the Sheraton Brookhollow...sort of a dump for a Sheraton, but the best I could do.

At the GM promised me a free breakfast coupon in lieu of club being closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.