Wiki Posts
Search

London Tube Travelcards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
London Tube Travelcards

There seem to be so many different choices of Travelcards/passes available on the Tube and some don't seem like that great of a deal. Here are my arrival and departures plans and what I think might be the best option. Please let me know if I'm on track. Arrive around 10AM on a Saturday at LHR and leave around 10AM on a Monday from LHR. My thought is to buy a Weekend Travelcard Saturday morning at Heathrow for zones 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (L8.10)and a one-way ticket from Zone 2 to 6 (L3.80) to get to the airport on Monday morning. Does this sound like the best deal? Seems better than the 2-day Vistor Travelcard (L13.40) and a one-way ticket from Zone 2 to 6 (L3.80) to get back to Heathrow. And it seems better than a One Day LT Card (L8) for Saturday, a Off-Peak Day Travelcard(L5)for Sunday plus the one-way ticket (L3.80) back to LHR on Monday morning. Comments greatly appreciated. Only plan on riding the Tube and not buses. Cheers!

------------------
Greetings from the land of 10,000+1 lakes.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
I haven't looked at the new-and-increased prices yet, but last year, the Weekend Travelcard was a good deal. This assumes you will utilize it for more than just your trip from LHR!

Your plan seems sound.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You should post in the London forum too, lots of good advice there.

On Monday make sure to leave plenty of time to get the tickets, depending on the station sometimes the lines can be long.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just had that very fact situation. Overall, you do save a tad (and eliminate any hassle) by buying the 2 day 6 zone weekend card (Ł8.10) as opposed to a 1 way into town plus a 2 day weekend card. In any event, you then have a 1 way to zone 6 on Monday. Just go to the ticket counter opposite the underground entrance @ LHR (it is in the same general location, but now has sit-down agents and no glass windows, so if you are familiar with the old counters, you may think it disappeared.)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
[B] In any event, you then have a 1 way to zone 6 on Monday. [B]</font>
Eastbay1K:
So, if I buy the Weekend Travelcard on Saturday around 11AM, I can get back to LHR on it Monday AM??

------------------
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boomerang-boy:
Eastbay1K:
So, if I buy the Weekend Travelcard on Saturday around 11AM, I can get back to LHR on it Monday AM??

</font>
No, you have to buy a one trip fare to LHR. Your travelcard will expire during the night.

Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:16 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
That's what I would do. If the line is long at the LHR Underground station, I think you can buy the weekend travelcard at the ticketing machines (though I've only bought the one-day travelcards from them)--at least one of them takes credit cards.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you plan on vising London again, the Oystercard may be the way to go. I visit London from time to time on business and I love the ease of use and of course the cheaper prices. Note that there is a 3 pound deposit though. If you are not planning on returning, it may not be worth the trouble.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Will I need a picture ID with this Weekend Travelcard?

------------------
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
No. (In fact, they've dropped the picture requirement for the 7 day card for zone 1.)
Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:01 pm

You can also buy this card from the mchine at LHR, use your credit card, avoid the lines, and get miles.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Where actually is the machine?

------------------
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boomerang-boy:

</font>
There are machines at the tube station entrance. However, if you aren't quite sure what you want, or your best option, you generally won't wait more than a few minutes for a live person at the desk, and you can ask questions, they are well-informed and educated as to your options, and you can get maps and perhaps a attraction discount booklet from a live agent.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your excellent advice. Boom!

------------------
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
</font>
You'll notice it - there's a bank of machines, most of them coin-only. Then there's a huge one with a touch screen - this takes CCs.

To get a weekend travelcard out of it isn't always obvious: I think it's under 'Other Tickets/Other Travelcards', then 'Weekend Travelcard'. You'll get the option for 123456, 23456 or 123456ABCD or something. Just get the 123456.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.