Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Security At JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Baggage Security At JFK

This is a question concerning security at airports and how safe is your luggage after you have checked it in for the flight.

My brother has returned from a weekend break to New York flying AA (JFK-LHR) With the severe weather, flights from JFK were changed and merged. In the following confusion his bag was not loaded onto his flight and left behind at JFK.

3 days have passed and his case has finally reached LHR and has been couriered to him minus items of clothing with a value over $300. His case was opened and checked by the TSA and he has the written notification in his case informing him of this action.

How can items of clothing go missing when luggage should have been checked and secured at JFK? Isn’t this a scary situation to be in when there appears to be open access to luggage.

My question is this: who holds responsibility for this loss? Will the airline make him claim on his travel insurance? How much theft occurs like this from “secured” baggage? Surely, if someone is able to take items out they can put “items” in the baggage. Does this make a mockery of the TSA?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I have heard of problems with TSA. I think TSA is a mockery of justice.
IMHO
Sorry for your loss. What does AA say?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Yup, this is a common problem for many passsengers. You're not alone.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

The customer service and baggage service for AA are all closed for the evening and so he will have to call again in the morning.

I had heard of this being a common problem but thought that it makes a mockery of the security system in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.