Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avian-Flu epidemic in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Avian-Flu epidemic in Asia?

I was wondering how you guys view the health situation in Bangkok in particular and SE Asia overall. There has been plenty of unpleasant news recently, with the WHO now suspecting that the Avian Flu virus might combine with the Fujian-influenza virus and by this lead to a worldwide epidemy (worst case scenario). I am not a really fearful person, but start asking myself whether it may be advisable to relocate a meeting from Bangkok to Singapore. I am not a Bangkok expert. Just want to be inspired by your views... Thanxx in advance...
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I prefer Singapore in any case. It is an extremely clean & tidy city with many fine hotels. I'm concerned, but to this point have not changed plans for my own vacation in May. I do have travel insurance. Wonder if it covers 'bird' flu?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:17 pm

I am going to BKK on Tuesday and am not all that concerned. Certainly not in Bangkok anyway. I will also be in some small villages in Central Thailand, but will refrain from having any close encounters with fowl just in case.

[This message has been edited by liquid (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
You never know with the avian flu. The danger is not with fowl-play (sorry) but if it suddenly mutates and starts spreading human-to-human. Granted, much of the fear is probably overblown but if you are concerned about it, it will only heighten your discomfort.

If you have flexibility of moving the meet location, I would just go ahead and move it to SIN. I find that work is more productive in SIN than in BKK - meeting planners are more efficient, languange is a non-issue, and transportation (both to/from airport as well as hotel/meeting) is excellent.

BKK is a really nice holiday place but SIN trumps over it any day as far as a conducive place to get something done. BKK is just that much harder to get things done from the moment you touch down and go through immigration to the moment you leave. Although much maligned, entertainment choices in SIN aren't as bad as people make it out to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.