Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any airports where you RECOMMEND using unlicensed cabs?

Old Jan 26, 04, 3:05 am
Original Poster

At almost any large urban airport, one is approached by shady guys saying "taxi, taxi." Instinctively, I say no and proceed to procure aboveboard transportation methods. In my imagination, if I took up an illegal cab driver on his offer, I'd be taken to the back seat of a 1992 Geo Metro, and then scammed out of more money than the legal cab would've cost.

But are there any airports where it's recommended (in your opinion) to engage the illegal cab drivers and save some money, or is this pretty universally a bad idea?
Old Jan 26, 04, 3:43 am

Depends on where I am, used one in KUL to take me into Town and then booked him for the 4 days I was there.

Recently in AUH wanting to go to DXB I turned down the touts, they didn't know where the Hotel was and were quoting more than the official cabs.

Nigel

Old Jan 26, 04, 6:09 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Nope. See topmost post.

Unless you have the resources and wherewithal such as a traveling companion to prevent the driver from extorting you, which procedure includes not putting anything in the trunk.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

For Walt Disney World, I strongly recommend finding a flat rate fare from MCO to Disney rather than a metered taxi, but still not an unlicensed anything. Towncars and limos are easy to find even without a reservation.

News note Boston Globe 1/18/04 pp B2, use your imagination to make it on-topic here.
The trolley driver skipped stops under order from the dispatcher, but as the story was told passengers did not hear an announcement about that. Eventually a passenger pulled the emergency brake handle, pushed open the doors, and got out along with some others.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 04, 6:22 am

KUL is definitely an option, as the official taxi coupon mafia is ludicrously overpriced (by KL standards, anyway). You can reduce the pain a bit by getting a 'budget' taxi tho... or, if there's two or less of you, take the KLIA Express to the city and then an RM 10 coupon taxi (or the LRT/monorail) to anywhere in KL, which will be faster to boot.

The government periodically announces crackdowns on the touts though, the last time I was in town (late Dec) I was quite surprised to not find any. But they'll be back... if even SIN can't hold them at bay, how can KUL?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: