Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2004, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
What happened to Spirit Airlines?

This no-frills airline had this web site:

http://www.keltawebconcepts.com.au/airlines/

for about 6 months now. What's going on? Will it ever get off the ground?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Spirit Airlines flies to several cities from Detroit. They fly DC-9's and MD-80's
Old Jan 24, 2004, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Are you talking about the airline, or the Web site?

Try http://www.spiritair.com
Old Jan 24, 2004, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spirit Air in the USA started flying out of DCA down to Florida and has great fares.

I don't know about them in Aussie land though.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 6:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Please look at the link before making comments.

Thank You!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Apparently "Spirit Airlines" (Australian version) has also registered the domain spiritairlines.com (currently not functional), but Spirit Airlines (US version) had a problem with that:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/deci...2001-0748.html

If you whois the domain (spiritairlines.com), you'll find an administrative contact, and his e-mail address. You could always write for an update.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
Please look at the link before making comments.

Thank You!
</font>

Both the title and the mesage could have been clearer. The website keltawebconcepts.com.au doesn't look like it has anything at all to do with airlines, my assumption was it was something totally unrelated and just a gimmick to get us to click on the link to be sold something. Registering something on a com.au domain just reeks of cheapness to me.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 6:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:

Registering something on a com.au domain just reeks of cheapness to me.
</font>
Not if you're in Australia...

Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would have reserved spiritairlines.au or something, not some subdirectory on another server and forward the url.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The site quoted in the first contribution to this thread is now working and is indeed announcing a new airline in Australia.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
I would have reserved spiritairlines.au or something, not some subdirectory on another server and forward the url.</font>
It is not possible to register domains directly under .au (just like it's not possible to register domains directly under .uk). If you want to register a domain name in Australia it has to be under one of the available sub-domains - com.au, org.au, net.au, asn.au or id.au (plus a few more which are on the "restricted list" such as gov.au and edu.au)

[This message has been edited by Aviatrix (edited Jan 25, 2004).]
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Both the title and the mesage could have been clearer. The website keltawebconcepts.com.au doesn't look like it has anything at all to do with airlines, my assumption was it was something totally unrelated and just a gimmick to get us to click on the link to be sold something. Registering something on a com.au domain just reeks of cheapness to me.
</font>

I thought my OP was very clear and not misleading at all. I did state the the following site has been set-up by the airline in question, yet no word on the airline actually taking off.

If you did click the link and it did take you to some cheap sales site, blast me all you want, and I would deserve it, but to say you or somebody did not follow the link because there was a possibility, is a cheap shot at best. Sorry

I think I deserve a little more respect. Just the fact that I have over 2000 posts should tell anybody here that the chance of me leading people on is very small.

On that note, does anybody have any info on that airline? or is that a non-issue? They do mention Southwest which made me think that maybe Southwest was involved.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:04 am

Having done some googling, and read the article on the WIPO site that was posted earlier, it would seem that the Australian Spirit Airlines has been around as a company for over a decade, but has never flown.

They have a domain of spiritairlines.com.au, but it comes up with a "time-out" error so is probably not active.

Edited to add:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
On that note, does anybody have any info on that airline? or is that a non-issue? They do mention Southwest which made me think that maybe Southwest was involved.</font>
Doubt it. My guess is they put a link to Southwest on their site so that search engines will find it when they look for Southwest. One of many tricks people will use to improve their search engine ratings.

[This message has been edited by Aviatrix (edited Jan 26, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.