Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Instanbul Run - Hotel suggestions?

Old Jan 19, 04, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I'm going to do a run from Michigan to Instanbul 3/19 - 3/21.
Can anyone recommend a modest ($60-$80)hotel that is in the heart of everything and easy to get to from the airport. Since I'm only there for 2 days, location is important.
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 04, 6:00 pm

Try this place. In the middle of the old section of town. Great prices. They may even pick you up from the airport.

http://www.hotelambassador.com/

BTW, what did you pay for a ticket and what is your routing?
Old Jan 19, 04, 6:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Lucky you, that's a great place. Bring an empty bag for all the stuff you will be bringing back.

Old Jan 19, 04, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dogmeat:

http://www.hotelambassador.com/

BTW, what did you pay for a ticket and what is your routing?
</font>
TVC-DTW-AMS-IST
IST-AMS-DTW-TVC

$607+

Not that great of price for those who are used to Hub prices but traveling from Northern Michigan adds a hundred dollars or so everytime I go. AND I WANT TO GET OUT OF NORTHERN MICHIGAN RIGHT NOW.

Old Jan 19, 04, 10:37 pm

I'll cast a vote for the Empress Zoe (www.emzoe.com). It's not a luxury hotel, but it's got character, the location is unbeatable (middle of Sultanahmet but away from the noise; you can see the Aya Sofya from your window!) and the service is quite good.
Old Jan 20, 04, 6:25 am
Original Poster

I checked out Hotel Ambassador and they still have transportation to/from airport included in their price of $40. Perfect.
The Empress Zoe sounds like a good option as well. What I learned from you all is that lodging won't be a problem. THANKS!
Old Jan 20, 04, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
coff. You do realise of course they demand $US100 cash BEFORE you enter the country if you have a US passport? Takes the fun out of a mileage run.

Tourism is dead in IST now as those worldly Americans mostly think Turks are "Arabs" so they have stayed away in millions.

You can readily get great hotels for $40 as you have found. Get a package off internet with city tours and transfers etc and it gets to be even lower. I was there July.

As you can see for $175 tax included you get 3 nights Hotel AND transfers, and breakfasts and a bunch of great tours, and they really are good tours:

http://turkey.gtahotels.com/citybrea...155&categoryid

There are about a MILLION Turkish lira for a Coca Cola. True.

I took about 30 un-circulated Millions and handed them out at the FT Doo in Dusseldorf I went to right after, and everyone thought they were a hoot.

So much so I have none left, so if anyone is going, please let me know, and I'll mail you $US5 or $US10 and some mint USA stamps and hope you can mail me a few back after your trip.

DO get a bunch of unc. Millions from a bank - everyone back home will love them!

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 20, 04, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info on the $US100 entry fee to Turkey. Be aware:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../007774-6.html
Old Jan 23, 04, 5:40 am

The Mina Hotel is fantastic. It is brand new. Very modern and fresh and comfortable and in the middle of everything. They will also pick you up at the airport for free.

MINAHOTEL.com
Old Jan 23, 04, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for the Empress Zoe - great location, nice hotel and good prices.

BTW, it's Istanbul - not Instanbul

Enjoy your time there, it's a great city with some very friendly people.
Old Jan 23, 04, 3:17 pm

I am happy not to be in Istanbul right now:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...Turkey was worst hit by the storms, which dumped 50 centimetres of snow on Istanbul...Authorities declared a state of alert, mobilising some 9,000 police and municipality staff...Schools, universities and the stock exchange were closed, and emergency services had to rush to rescue drivers stranded in their cars.....The conditions are equivalent to a disaster. Istanbul is going through a hardship unseen in 50 years ....Parts of the city were still without water and electricity as the night descended in freezing temperatures.
</font>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3424123.stm
Old Jan 24, 04, 11:34 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
[B]BTW, it's Istanbul - not Instanbul
B]</font>
Yes, I know; thanks.

Also quote:

...Turkey was worst hit by the storms, which dumped 50 centimetres of snow on Istanbul...Authorities declared a state of alert, mobilising some 9,000 police and municipality staff...Schools, universities and the stock exchange were closed, and emergency services had to rush to rescue drivers stranded in their cars.....The conditions are equivalent to a disaster. Istanbul is going through a hardship unseen in 50 years ....Parts of the city were still without water and electricity as the night descended in freezing temperatures.

"Sounds like Michigan, but we're used to it.
I feel for the people there." Thanks for passing this along.

[This message has been edited by tc fly girl (edited Jan 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by tc fly girl (edited Jan 24, 2004).]
Old Jan 24, 04, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really bad, I am not there right now, but my family is. She had a two hour drive home from work the other night and has been snowbound ever since. Electricity was out EVERYWHERE for about 16 hours and the roads are impossible to navigate.

Its pretty bad.
Old Jan 25, 04, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tc fly girl:

...Turkey was worst hit by the storms, which dumped 50 centimetres of snow on Istanbul...</font>
Wow, that is about 20" of snow in a place you usually think of as warm and sunny.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 25, 04, 9:14 pm

Having been there in January once, Istanbul isn't exactly warm and sunny even during in a normal winter... even these snowstorms seem to be sufficiently frequent to make the news every couple of years.

The unfortunate thing about places that are mostly hot is that the heating systems are rarely equipped to deal with the brief spell of winter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: