10th Wedding Anniversary - Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:24 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
10th Wedding Anniversary - Where to go?

My wedding anniversary is almost a year away, but want to start planning it so I can get a good deal on the trip.

Where have you traveled for your anniversaries?

I was thinking of spending a couple of weeks in Australia (www.quantasvacations.com has some packages), maybe France, England, even Greece.

A cruise would be nice, but I don't know if my wife could handle it, she gets sea sick.

So where would you guys go?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfe:
My wedding anniversary is almost a year away, but want to start planning it so I can get a good deal on the trip.

Where have you traveled for your anniversaries?

I was thinking of spending a couple of weeks in Australia (www.quantasvacations.com has some packages), maybe France, England, even Greece.

A cruise would be nice, but I don't know if my wife could handle it, she gets sea sick.

</font>
That was during a period when I went about 7 years without a real vacation (occassional 2 day family visit). So I didnt go anywhere. If it were now, Paris. Or if not there, well, probably Paris.

That said, Sydney is a fantastic city.

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfe:

</font>
On a cruise....

She'd be in the cabin throwing up and I'd be out having a blast.

Oops, sorry, I'm thinking of the 25th anniversary.

Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:11 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K_From_SNA:
On a cruise....

She'd be in the cabin throwing up and I'd be out having a blast.

Oops, sorry, I'm thinking of the 25th anniversary.

</font>
That's just sick man. But I will keep it in mind, I just hope I remember it in 15 years.

I've been to all those places, except Greece, I just want to make this trip very special

God knows she has to put up with me
Old Jan 24, 2004, 6:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
A lot depends on the two of you. People get this idea that honeymoons and anniversary trips have to be "romantic" and for many that seems to equate to being pampered on a cruise by people who aren't paid diddly and treat you like a maharajah, or hanging out on a beach and ordering endless drinks with umbrellas in them.

My husband and I were married last June and honeymooned in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was rainy (October), gypsies stole $200 in rubles from his pocket and ordering the makings of an in-room "picnic" by the gram at Yeliseev's when all the signs were in Russian was a challenge- but we absolutely loved it. We walked in the paths of czars, empresses and Rasputin. We inhaled centuries of candle wax in Russian orthodox churches while the priests chanted.

This might not be your idea of a great anniversary trip- the point I wanted to make is that this should be a place you've both always wanted to visit, with whatever you find fascinating. The "romantic" part will naturally follow. If Australia fits that description it's a good choice because you're planning a long stay- if you're into "collecting countries" you could add New Zealand and Tasmania.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Pleaes tell us more about what you and your wife like to do so we can make better suggestions. Do you like beaches? cities? remote? busy?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:16 am

Hi I am new to this site. I would recommend Keywest, once you have been you will never want to leave. Ernest Hemmingway was one of their residents. Lots of game fishing, snorkling, fishing. The sunsets are very famous too!

I am from across the pond and hope to be back this year.

Hope I have given you another idea.

------------------
dusky
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:53 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Athena53:
This might not be your idea of a great anniversary trip- the point I wanted to make is that this should be a place you've both always wanted to visit, with whatever you find fascinating. The "romantic" part will naturally follow.</font>
For me that would be great, but I have traveled a lot more than her. And she doesn't feel comfortable in such environments, not cookie cutter Disneyland, but not as you described.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JNelson113:
Pleaes tell us more about what you and your wife like to do so we can make better suggestions. Do you like beaches? cities? remote? busy?</font>
She absolutely loves the sea, she can spend hours by the shore just looking at it, and the beaches of Hawaii were just heaven for her. We went on a February, when the water is the warmest, and loved it.

So I guess the best answer is a combination of beaches/busy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duskybluedawn:
Hi I am new to this site. I would recommend Keywest, once you have been you will never want to leave</font>
We just came back from a week in Florida, so we would like to go somewhere else, but we spent it in SoBe, so that might be another place to go, but not just yet

Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:18 am

As someone else mentioned, the trip would depend upon you and your wife's interests.

My wife and I have discussed Greece. Alternatively, a great romantic trip, with things to do and time to relax would be to rent an apartment in the Campania region of Italy. You could be near Sorrento.

There are many wonderful sites, but you can also just relax and enjoy the views.

http://www.italianvillasdirect.com/W...ItalySouth.htm
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:21 am

On Larry David's 10th anniversary he got to go where NO MAN (married that is) gets to go before.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:53 am

Rent a villa/house in the BVIs. I would love that type of trip. You can sit and gaze at 'your view' or take day trips to other islands.

I would also love Australia, New Zealand or Fiji.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
THE GREEK ISLES!
I have traveled the world and I think Santorini is one of the most romantic places ever. It's a short flight from Athens and it is so beautiful she will never stop loving you for taking her there.

Old Jan 24, 2004, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
At 10 years, I didn't have the frequent flyer miles I have today.

For #25, we flew C (that's business class for all you newbees) on ANA for our first trip to Asia (Japan and Thailand).

Since many of our friends have never been there, I got a lot of mileage (so to speak ) out of the trip.

You could also tour east coast cities from Portland Maine down to DC.

Canadian Rockies? Barge trip in Europe? House of Miles.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if your wife loved hawaii she will adore tahiti, bora bora - maybe even the cook islands.....

Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Well this wife that I have now and thanks for the reminder that it will be ten years in May likes islands and beaches.

At one point early in our marriage she stated that she wanted to visit all the islands in the world (with me of course) and so we have been busy in that pursuit.

Greece - Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete
Cook Islands
Hawaiian - Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii
Thailand - Ko Samui
Canary Islands
Florida - Key West, Captiva

My personal favorite was the Cook Islands which was the least busy and we both enjoyed Greece (even bought a time share so that we could return again and again.) But I think that it would not be very warm there if you are planning to go in one years time.

So I vote along with squeakr
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">if your wife loved hawaii she will adore tahiti, bora bora - maybe even the cook islands.....</font>
And now at dinner tonight I will bring up the subject with the better half of where to spend our 10th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.