Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Discount airlines out of FRA

Old Jan 25, 04, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Are there any LCC's based out of Frankfurt DE?
Old Jan 25, 04, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA
Goat:

No, because FRA was full up and became slot-restricted some time ago, so new entrants cannot get established there. Same situation as at London Heathrow.

However, just down the road (in fact an awful long way down the road) is Hahn airport, euphemistically called Frankfurt Hahn and known to European travellers as "Where-the-hell-is-Hahn". It's an old USAF base about 60 miles from Frankfurt and Ryanair have it as an increasingly significant hub, and their usual cheap fares from there across Europe. There is a bus to Frankfurt. It was beautifully mocked in a recent British Airways TV ad showing a desolate terminal in the middle of nowhere with one rickety old Trabant (remember those?) on the taxi stand! But for low-cost from Frankfurt, that's what there is.
Old Jan 25, 04, 1:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DisgruntledGoat:
Are there any LCC's based out of Frankfurt DE?</font>
Yes, RyanAir and Volare are flying out of Franfurt Hahn, which is in Hunsrueck in the middle of nowhere.
Cologne has also discout airlines.
Old Jan 25, 04, 1:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Goat:

No, because FRA was full up and became slot-restricted some time ago, so new entrants cannot get established there. Same situation as at London Heathrow.

However, just down the road (in fact an awful long way down the road) is Hahn airport, euphemistically called Frankfurt Hahn and known to European travellers as "Where-the-hell-is-Hahn". It's an old USAF base about 60 miles from Frankfurt and Ryanair have it as an increasingly significant hub, and their usual cheap fares from there across Europe. There is a bus to Frankfurt. It was beautifully mocked in a recent British Airways TV ad showing a desolate terminal in the middle of nowhere with one rickety old Trabant (remember those?) on the taxi stand! But for low-cost from Frankfurt, that's what there is.
</font>
WHBM:
Great post. I could not say it better...
The TV ad with a "Trabbi" must have been funny. And it is really in the middle of nowhere, I have passed this airport on my way from Luxembourg to Frankfurt by car.
Old Jan 25, 04, 2:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
I have passed this airport on my way from Luxembourg to Frankfurt by car.</font>
Don't tell Ryanair. Otherwise they'll start saying they serve Luxembourg as well !!

Old Jan 25, 04, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

That sounds like too much work. I looked at Volare to do a quick run somewhere if I got bored in Frankfurt, but it was like E120 plus taxes. I figure, that can be better applied to nightlife and alcohol.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 25, 04, 3:31 pm

Goat:

Take the train for a day away from Frankfurt. Go to Cologne by the old train route along the Rhine valley, through Koblenz, one of Europe's most spectacular train trips. Cologne is a fascinating city, and you can come back at night on the high speed ICE train.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 25, 04, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Goat:

Take the train for a day away from Frankfurt. Go to Cologne by the old train route along the Rhine valley, through Koblenz, one of Europe's most spectacular train trips. Cologne is a fascinating city, and you can come back at night on the high speed ICE train.

Just a thought.
</font>
I will think about it - mainly I haven't laid out my Frankfurt itinerary yet so I can afford to be a little bit lazy OR go hardcore sightseeing.

Goatse

Search this Thread
Search Engine: