FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   help me get to Cincinnati without losing an arm and a leg (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/297889-help-me-get-cincinnati-without-losing-arm-leg.html)

richard Jan 20, 2004 11:07 am

help me get to Cincinnati without losing an arm and a leg

I have a meeting there next week. It is costly to fly nonstop due to Delta's fortress hub.

How far is Dayton in terms of driving time from downtown Cin?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Western Airlines Jan 20, 2004 11:15 am

It's about an hour, if memory serves.

barbaraj718 Jan 20, 2004 11:36 am

Where do you live?

For some reason, Nashville/CVG flights have low rates (around $280.00)

Hope this hleps.

I live in Cincinnati and always found Dayton a pain. The North quadrant is always a pain due to high traffic.

But this depends on where you need to go once you arrive.

richard Jan 20, 2004 11:49 am

Thanks. I am flying from outside Washington DC. I will fly into Dayton and rent a car and drive to Cincinnati.

Mr. July Jan 20, 2004 12:46 pm

Sounds like you're going via Dayton, but BWI-SDF would have been another option. Nonstop on Southwest ranges from $142 (14-day) to $217 (walk-up), roundtrip. Louisville to Cincinnati is between 1 1/2-2 hours drive.

Mr. July Jan 20, 2004 12:48 pm

Sounds like you're going via Dayton, but BWI-SDF would have been another option. Nonstop on Southwest ranges from $142 (14-day) to $217 (walk-up), roundtrip. Louisville to Cincinnati is between 1 1/2-2 hours drive.

TrinaLC Jan 20, 2004 2:26 pm

I think Dayton is a very easy airport to use for cinci (I do it all the time).

GadgetFreak Jan 20, 2004 8:21 pm

My dad lives in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. I visit a number of times a year and always go into Dayton. It is a really easy airport to get in and out of. It is more like an hour to an hour and 45 minutes from downtown. That is a bit farther than CVG. On the other hand, if you dont have checked bags you can proably make it from your gate to your rental care in 10 minutes. Im guessing 30 minutes at CVG, minumum, maybe 45. Dayton is often much cheaper too as you discovered. I havent flown into CVG for about 7 years.

j379pa Jan 20, 2004 9:19 pm

Or, try going through CVG to LEX. About $100 less, about an hour to Cincy.

JP

SJC Road Warrior Jan 23, 2004 2:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
I have a meeting there next week. It is costly to fly nonstop due to Delta's fortress hub.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
</font>
We used to have to regularly fly that route to visit P&G. If you're flying into cincinati on a very regular basis, there is a solution -- buy an air pass with Delta or United. In exchange for parking a bunch of $$ in an account, you pay on a per-air-mile basis on every route served. Several benefits -- you automatically get to use all of that airline's lounges. You can also book one "guest" at the same rate. We even figured out how to later delete the named air pass holder and just send the guest so anyone in the office could use it. We'd also compare fares against number of miles to figure out when it was best used. There is a time limit on it (a year, I think)and it's a significant amount of $$ ($5 ~ 10K?) but we also got milage credit (I think -- not sure on that one). Even better, you got bumped up to first above anyone else if there were seats available.