Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

will expensive camera get ruined through customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if this is a really stupid question.. in fact it might certainly be, and in that case, feel free and point and laugh. fortunately for me, i cant hear it.... i have a really nice camera, a minolta with attatchable lense and carrying case, and i wonder about bringing it with me as a carry-on. is this a stupid idea? i heard that just packing it could get it wrecked with the machine used to scan luggage, and also with the usual rought treatment, but then again, will putting it through customs damage the lense/body somehow? same goes with my diskman, should i pack it away, or can i carry it on with me? BTW... thanks for all your help with my previous questions, i really appreciate it!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I don't check anything of value. It's only partially a matter of the damage from those new machines (your concern about your camera), it also has to deal with the amount of theft that goes on from checked baggage. Even moreso with the TSA requiring the baggage to remain "unlocked", and the TSA vs Airline argument that would ensue should something show up missing.

I use locking ties for all my luggage now so I can quickly tell if someone was in my bags when I wasn't around.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

i hadn't even thought of theft, so did you mean that i should NOT carry it on the plane with me? because i figured that was the best idea, as long as there is no damage from the machine-thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Always take valuable items as carry-ons. Do not check it.

Checked luggage get thrown around by baggage handling crew, and you can't lock your suitcase nowadays.

Take it with you as carry-ons.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Film may be damaged by scanning, but not the camera or diskman.

I would carry it with me. Customs probably won't even look at it unless they have a reason to do so. If it's new, remember to bring something that proves you purchased it in the United States, or they may say you didn't and charge you duty on your return (it's way better to register it before you leave).

If you put it in you checked bags it will probably be damaged or taken by the baggage theives, if you carry it on and don't smash it into a wall or get it run over by an airport cart, you will be fine.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:19 pm

Just to clarify a few things for the original poster:

I think you're probably talking about security (where they search for weapons before you get on the plane) rather than customs (after an international arrival, where they look for things you're not allowed to import or for which there is a duty to be paid).

There are new high-powered x-ray machines used for scanning CHECKED baggage for security (i.e. before your flight). I don't think there's any danger to your CAMERA from these machines, although any FILM you might have in your checked luggage would be likely be ruined. This scanning process happens behind the scenes at most airports. Concerns about loss, theft, damage, and liability limits are completely in order, though; I would NOT put anything very expensive or difficult to replace in checked baggage if I could avoid it.

The x-ray machines used for screening CARRY-ON bags are basically the same that have been used for a number of years. The radiation dose to your baggage from these machines is quite low. You have the right to request a hand inspection of your film at U.S. airports, but you probably won't be able to notice the difference if you run ordinary film (say, ISO 400 or less) through a few times. In any event, there is no danger to your camera there, just your film.

Does this clear anything up for you?
Old Jan 17, 2004, 2:10 am
Original Poster

thank you, that definately helps alot, i wasn't thinking, you're right, i was talking about security---and my camera is rather new, so i suppose i should check into that. anyway, i plan to carry both it and the discman with me-thanks again for all your help!
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HomelessScientist:
The x-ray machines used for screening CARRY-ON bags are basically the same that have been used for a number of years. The radiation dose to your baggage from these machines is quite low. You have the right to request a hand inspection of your film at U.S. airports, but you probably won't be able to notice the difference if you run ordinary film (say, ISO 400 or less) through a few times. In any event, there is no danger to your camera there, just your film.</font>
The newest machines used to scan cabin baggage use very low doses indeed. Although you wouldn't want to do it without a reason, they shouldn't harm a human who is accidentally put through the machine once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.