Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's Your Hotel/Meal Per Diem, Company Size?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Your Hotel/Meal Per Diem, Company Size?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
http://policyworks.gov/org/main/mt/h...m/perd04d.html

If we exceed the rates we are still reimbursed but the customer is not charged higher than the Government rate. Generally one must have a good reason to exceed the rates.

I was at a conference in San Diego in October. The conference hotel was sold out (at higher than the per diem rate); I stayed at the Hilton Mission Bay at a rate higher than per diem but considerably less than the conference rate at the Hyatt Islandia.

Airfares are generally limited to the lowest available walk-up coach fare (not including Southwest); advance purchase, with the understanding that occasionally the company must eat a ticket, is encouraged.

Staying over a Saturday night to get a lower airfare is also encouraged, the traveler can get reimbursed for travel expenses incurred where the total is less than the non-Saturday fare.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Meals @ $34.00/day if away from home base or scaled down depending on hours worked from $34.00 down to $0.00.

No other limits other than commen sense.

Cannot purchase International First or Business class seats.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
$30. per day per diem(meals) period. Does not matter what city/country.

Hotels are a bit different for us. We rarely stay anywhere for less than 3 weeks, and 4 to 5 is not uncommon. We average over 260 nights a year in hotels.

Policy in general is we can spend up to $65 per night with no questions asked. Anything over that and we're going to be grilled about it. To us, Best Western is a luxury hotel.
Most expensive hotel the company has EVER paid for was NWR in HK at about $125, and ONLY because there was really nothing cheaper that we were willing to stay at.

As bad as this sounds(and it does suck), I do get to choose my airline unless there is a huge difference in price. I can use award tickets and be reimbursed for $$value of ticket and I am never asked to use my miles for any reason. They are mine.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 2:44 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by braslvr:
Hotels are a bit different for us. We rarely stay anywhere for less than 3 weeks, and 4 to 5 is not uncommon. We average over 260 nights a year in hotels.

Policy in general is we can spend up to $65 per night with no questions asked. Anything over that and we're going to be grilled about it. To us, Best Western is a luxury hotel.
</font>
Eeek! 260 nights a year in a Best Western?

I walked out of a Hampton Inn (long story -- every other hotel in town was booked) because they couldn't provide real glasses, only plastic. I maintained that since I didn't drink from plastic at home, I would not stay in any place that made me do it when I was travelling.

Like you, I'm frequently put up for long stays. With long stays, having the comforts of home is more important than ever.

FWIW, our per diems are $10 breakfast, $10 lunch, and $45 dinner plus a further $15 for incidentals (newspapers, personal phone calls, etc). No receipts required, and you can pocket any underspend.

Hotels are generally 4 or 5 star, unless they're not available near our client (witness the Holiday Inn Express I'm staying in currently). With our significant annual purchase (Fortune 500 company), we rarely pay more than $100-120 for a 4-5* hotel, and all of our airfare is economy, with significant corporate discounts.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Matthew, very good to see a post from you! As far as Hampton Inns and plastic glasses. I hate to break this to you, but often you are MUCH better off with plastic as they are new and clean. I've seen hotel maids clean the glass ones and often it's completely disgusting! In fact I always try to carry a few Hampton plastics along with me. I stay healthier that way!

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year! I'm still willing to trade flying space for a G & T and a rose.

Thanks for all the help you've given us over the years!

'Ol Pen (traveling more and enjoying it less!)
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No per diem, but a reasonably generous daily expenses cao:

Hotel - GBP120/USD170 per night. Does very by region, acknowledging that NYC and Tokyo are more expensive that Bangkok!
Breakfast - GBP10/USD15
Lunch - oddly, no limit at all other than the word 'reasonable'
Dinner - GBP30/USD45

plus reasonable other expenses i.e. drinks, taxis etc.

For plane travel, we get business class for any flight or combination of flights over 3 hours, economy under that. This is normally booked on preferred carriers - BA, CX, BD and VS who give 20%/30% discounts on the full fare. And yes, we do get to keep the miles. This is for a FTSE100 company.

[This message has been edited by Swanhunter (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Fortune 100

We follow the gov't per diem as shown here;

http://www.dtic.mil/perdiem/pdrform.html

1st and last day of travel is 75% of the M&IE portion regardless of the time of day you leave or arrive back.

Airfare: lowest among preferred carries but you can select non preferred if you meet certain cost saving thresholds

Hotels: As long as its at PD we can take it.. however there are exceptions that allow us to exceed pd (taxes are reimbursed at actual and not part of PD)

Cars.. we must use budget domestically, and Avis Internationally

On our PD though, the cool thing is if we come in under PD, we pocket the diff for lodging and M&IE.

Like if L.A. is 99 for lodging, 51 for M&IE.. and we spend 69 on the room and 20 bucks for M&IE then we pocket the rest (30 +31)... I hope they never change this..

Edited to add that our receipt threshold is $75 except for air fare and cars.. which we must always have a receipt

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
Eeek! 260 nights a year in a Best Western?

</font>
As I said, BW is a luxury hotel for us.
More often then not it's more like Super 8.

The very best is when there is an Extended Stay America near the jobsite. These ARE pre-approved, and the kitchens make all the difference in the world.

I've stayed in some of the more upscale Suite hotels on my dime and they are awesome.....
But always WAY over budget for work.

Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:25 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
American branch of British firm, about 150 road warriors in the US. Company has shifted from expense + to fixed fee contracts. Everything is now through corporate travel agent. New rules on sticter use of budget hotels, now trying budget airlines, AVIS only. Expenses within reason, phasing out of long distance air travel by reallocating resources. Goal is to average $200/billable day for expenses(including air, car, hotel, meals) from previous $300/billable day average for previous years. Trips are usually 2 to 3 days each with each person averaging over 50 trips/yr. Easy to do if client is accessible without a flight, tough otherwise.

[This message has been edited by outoftown (edited Jan 09, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Just wondering...

Judging froom the per diem rates that you have presented here, have any of you decided to SPLURGE when you go on your VACATION and spoil yourself?

For example, if you work for a large consulting firm with "cheap" per diem/travel policies (assuming you get paid well and can afford to splurge during your own vacation), would you occasionally purchase an international first/business class ticket (dosen't include using miles/upgrades earned as a result of business trips, but CAN include consolidator fares), stay at 5* hotels (maybe even in suites), and eat at fancy restaurants when you go on your own VACATION (either yourself, with spouse/or children)?

Anyone tried booking their personal VACATION (out of your own pocket) from their corporate travel agency to take advantage of any negotiated business class fares they might have? (but normally not allowed to use on business trips as you are not for example VP or above)

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited Jan 09, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I work for a very large multi-national and the limits for food are based on the city of travel and tends to be fair, but not high.

The airline and hotel are just required to be "in network" for the corporate rate, but there is no limit per se. We have deals with one or two airlines and several major hotel chains (Hilton, etc), although the Hilton I used to often stay at fell off the list on Jan 1.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Hotel - $135/night with cities like NYC of course being exceptions
Meals - "Reasonable" but capped at $75 per day with no meal exceeding $50
Car - Compact

mid-sized company with about 280 employees.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:21 pm

Relatively small public company with no real firm travel guidelines. Just be reasonable and don't abuse the system.

I try to keep my hotel at $150 or less. This varies if I am in a big city, but I can sometimes still swing a top property and feel comfortable with my expense report.

Virtually no business fares are booked. If I could find one for a comparable price or close price no one would care.

Meals are highly subjective. I am generally a healthy and very inexpensive eater so when I do splurge for $50 a plate I don't think much about it.

I try to keep my car cost at or below $40 a day. Convertibles are addictive.

WWBD - What Would &lt;your&gt; Boss Do is my guiding parameter. I think take it down a notch for a safe harbor.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
I work for a small sized company (~70 people). Meal allowance is $25/day/person domestic/international. If we have a vendor with us, we can go above (although it is encouraged to get the vendor to pay). Hotel rate is to "average" $70/night (doubling up if travelling with another employee), up from $60 last year. Once I spent $89/night at the Embassy Suites at SEA, and the person doing the expenses complained (I told my boss that next time, I'll spend $99 at the La Quinta). No complaints after that.

All air travel was done by our travel agent until I started fnding lower rates online. All air travel over $450 needs to be approved. All air travel is by coach, but can be upgraded using miles.

We have a negotiated rate with Avis, but nobody seems to mind that I use Budget (gotta get more golf clubs).

It gets interesting when a vendor is riding with me, and I drop them off at the Hilton while I stay at the Hampton Inn.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SM, HH Dia
I work for a smal pharmaceutical company. Meal allowance is $50/day, with receipts. There is no set limit for any other expenses just guidelines. Rental cars are intermediate, and hotels are reasonable 130 in any city, with up to 170 in major cities. The food allowance can be stretched for better Dinners with stays at Embassy Suites, or other hotels that include breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.