Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

New York, 4th of July fireworks -- best place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering a long weekend in NYC for the 4th of July. What's the best place to see fireworks -- a rooftop of some hotel, on a boat in the harbor, or where?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Several places:

1. Brooklyn Heights, overlooking NY Bay. Many folks will hang out on The Promenade.

2. In Manhattan, the FDR (East River drive) is closed from 42nd street all the way south to the ferry terminals. Great viewing from there.

3. My favorite, the penthouse suite at the Sheraton Russell on 37th Street and Park Ave.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the roof of a brownstone in Brooklyn Heights.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:13 am

Long Island City in Queens (in my sisters apt building on a high floor) or in Gantry Park on the waterfront.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Agreed on the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights. Great views and a very soothing atmospehere. If you know a friend in the area w/ rooftop access that is great as well.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Manhattan, on the FDR drive where it's closed.

On the river wither in a world yacht cruise, spirit cruise, or any of the other boats that are out there.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kdinino:
Agreed on the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights. Great views and a very soothing atmospehere. If you know a friend in the area w/ rooftop access that is great as well.

</font>
Brooklyn Heights is a beautiful neighborhood, and was one of the first neighborhoods in the U.S. designated as an historic landmark district. It's also very easy to get to from Manhattan, either by walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (which I highly recommend), taking the subway (the A, C, N, R, 2, 3, 4 and 5 trains will all get you there), or taxi. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade, which is a walkway overlooking the East River and Manhattan, gets VERY crowded for the fireworks, but remains pretty mellow. I suggest walking over the bridge early, spending some time walking around the neighborhood, grabbing dinner at Henry's End, and then setting up early on the Promenade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.