Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airborne Express DC-9 on tail at PDX due to ice!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold

KGW-TV is broadcasting video of an Airborne Express DC-9 balancing on its tail at PDX. Probably also available on NWNC. The websites for these news organizations are kgw.com and nwnc.com.

The airplane tipped backwards when the ice feel of the forward part of the plane and not off the back. The last tail-dragger that Douglas built was the DC-3. Guess that there is a reason that the AS cancelled all flights today. Imagine boarding an MD-80 from rear to front and it tips as the balance point shifts.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA
This is by no means as uncommon as you would believe for rear-engined aircraft. The Russian Ilyushin IL-62 was a real classic for doing this, and was later fitted with a special prop that could be extended under the tail when stationary on the ground (and which gave its own problems that it would become jammed when ready to depart!).

I've heard of it happening due to unbalanced fuelling or loading, or at a special ground occasion when all those on board congregated at a bar at the back. Ice must have been pretty thick to unbalance it, though!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Link to story and photo at KGW's website

Link to video at KGW's website

[This message has been edited by Mehdron (edited Jan 09, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.