Search

compensation for a cancelled Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,UA,LH, Amex *wood
compensation for a cancelled Flight

Hi,

does anyone know where I can find guidelines how much compensation is required for an airline that decides not to fly a passenger without a "good" reason (i.e. weather)?

I got a call that my flight has been canceld because of absece of passanger intrest two days prior depature. I was offerd only a full refund of the ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:31 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
rebooking. they are required to get you from point A to point B.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: BA
Quite simply there is no requirement.

The only things an airline is actually required to compensate for are the few things that have grabbed legislators' attention, such as overbooking (which followed a campaign against this practice).

They are certainly required to refund any money paid if they do not transport you (and you have complied with their other terms and conditions), but that is it.

From a commercial perspective, of course, they may voluntarily wish to do so, to maintain your future custom and goodwill or avoid the story getting into the press. But that is their choice. You may also try to get them to arrange a "last minute" booking on another airline without paying the walk-up fare, which they certainly will be in a better position to arrange than you are.

It is also worth looking at the detailed terms and conditions on your ticket because while these are normally restrictive there may be something in there they have contracted to do that they have not yet told you about, like a commitment to arrange alternative transport for you.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It sounds like this airline was at least being honest. I've had flights that were very lightly booked and then mysteriously cancelled. They put us on alternate (and inconvenient) flights instead.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:25 pm

Was this a regularly-scheduled flight, or was it a charter? If it was a charter flight, even if you would have traveled on an airline that offers other, regularly-scheduled flights, the rules and/or standards might well be different.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,UA,LH, Amex *wood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
Was this a regularly-scheduled flight, or was it a charter? If it was a charter flight, even if you would have traveled on an airline that offers other, regularly-scheduled flights, the rules and/or standards might well be different.</font>
The flight was regularly-scheduled (with gexx) a german Southwest plagiat.

Should go DUS-ARN and they called me two day prior depature that thaey would not fly and I could have either my money back or get a new flight with gexx (they have a allways the same price modell so that the last option is a bit dumb).

Sad but true... I had to fly with BA (OK at least I got some FF miles) because it was company travel. But the BA ticket was 4 times more expensive.... But thanks for the quick responses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.