Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk Road Network Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The FlyerTalk Road Network Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:10 pm

There's at least one pair other than MO/KY that has nothing to do with the Four Corners. Every time I ask this question people try to think of technicalities (they also want to name Illinois and Michigan, hence the "no Great Lakes" proviso), but the answers I have in mind should pass any common-sense definition of "border".

m-w.com says "moron" comes from the Greek word "moros", meaning foolish. My From: line refers to an unintentionally funny thread in OMNI a couple weeks back. I was going to change it soon, but I'm flattered enough by your compliment to keep it for a while longer.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:

I-77 & I-81 share designation for about 10 miles in SW Virginia. In an odd twist, if you are on 81 North, you are on 77 South.
</font>
Well, I was thinking of something even shorter, such as where two interstates join together when going through a downtown area. Doing a little looking around:

I-10/45 for less than a mile in Houston

I-35W/94 for less than a mile in Minneapolis

I-35/70 along the north leg of the loop in downtown Kansas City for just about a mile.

I-5/10 for a little over a mile in downtown L.A.

I-70/71 for a couple of miles in Columbus

I-15/80 for a couple of miles in Salt Lake City

Several more at 3-4 miles. Anything else 2 miles or less I didn't find?

Shortest combo of a 2 and a 3 digit interstate appears to be I-40/I-240 in Memphis for ~3 miles.

For a three-interstate designation, I bet this wins:

I-64, I-70 and I-55 crossing the Mississippi together from St. Louis and E. St. Louis are coincident for about 3 miles.

[This message has been edited by Mehdron (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
There's at least one pair other than MO/KY that has nothing to do with the Four Corners. Every time I ask this question people try to think of technicalities (they also want to name Illinois and Michigan, hence the "no Great Lakes" proviso), but the answers I have in mind should pass any common-sense definition of "border".

</font>
Still stumped, but thinking out loud here. The "paved" road hints that the 2 states are connected by an unpaved road. Since bridges aren't usually made of dirt, this seems to rule out a river-only boundary. States connected by only a dirt road suggests either a very rural area (west?) or perhaops a protected area (maybe an island?).

The short borders out West (OK-NM, OK-CO) seem to have roads across them. Are there unconnected states that might share an island - maybe a piece of Block Island RI that's NY; or maybe an island in Superior shared by MN & MI?

Am I on the right track?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
Am I on the right track? </font>
You were getting warmer, and warmer... and then you cooled way off.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bonehead:
You didn't take I-12? Masochist.

Unless of course you were sampling some of the delights of "the quatah"...

Because if you think rush hour in Baton Rouge is bad, try I-10 through New Orleans.

</font>

Yes, our destination for that night (and the next two) was the W NOLA.

We hit another accident on one of the bridges on the way into New Orleans on I-10, but other than that one, it wasn't that bad. It was nothing compared to the traffic through Baton Rouge.

-David

-David
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:06 pm

I've done the Dallas-Taos roundtrip several times. Yes, 287 is boring. Did you take I40 from Taos to Amarillo? I usually do the more direct 56/87 route thru the metropolises of Springer, Clayton, Texline, Dalhart, Hartley & Dumas. That route, though quicker, makes 287 seem like a thrillride in comparison. </font>

Yes, we backtracked to Santa Fe, and took US-285 to I-40. I changed the route a bit since my daughter got a bit carsick the day before on the end of the enchanted circle drive (the real curvy part .. we did it clockwise).

Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
You were getting warmer, and warmer... and then you cooled way off. </font>
SD - MT ?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:08 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

SD - MT ?</font>
That has to be the other correct answer, as that answer hit me like a ton of bricks last night. I should have thought of that answer, as I was trying to get to Montana after visiting the Geographical Center of the United States in South Dakota a few years ago (please see the second post in The FlyerTalk Travel Trivia Forum), which is located just west of U.S. 85.

The reason I was trying to get to Montana is because the only two states I have not been to yet are Montana and Idaho. I remember that there was no easy way to get to Montana from South Dakota, and I did not have enough time to take some back road to cross the border.

I could kick myself for not getting this answer sooner. This should have immediately been my first answer!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:19 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mehdron:
...Several more at 3-4 miles. Anything else 2 miles or less I didn't find?</font>
Add I-65/I-70 in Indianapolis - about 2 miles. This was completely closed and rebuilt this summer, so it may also be the newest (at least in one sense)
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:01 am

Yep, the only other answer is SD/MT. There are unpaved roads between these two states, but no paved roads.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
What's the longest road trip you've taken in the shortest time? For example, I once drove from Ithaca, NY to Chicago on a Saturday, watched a White Sox game that night, then drove back to Ithaca on Sunday - about 1200 miles in 36 hours.

What's the Flyertalk record?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:52 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kubla:
What's the longest road trip you've taken in the shortest time? For example, I once drove from Ithaca, NY to Chicago on a Saturday, watched a White Sox game that night, then drove back to Ithaca on Sunday - about 1200 miles in 36 hours.

What's the Flyertalk record?
</font>
How do you define longest & shortest together?

I'll suggest maximizing the product of average speed (total distance traveled divided by total hours elapsed during the trip) and distance traveled.

In other words, miles^2 divided by elapsed time.

For me, that would be my house to Fayetteville, NC and back the same day to see an air show at Pope AFB. 540 miles roundtrip in 18 hours total. 540^2/18 is 16,000 (round to the nearest 000).

Your 36 hour trip beats mine easily. Ithaca to Chicago is 1,360 miles roundtrip. 1360^2/36 is 51,000.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did my home in Dallas to Canmore, Alberta (near banff) in 55 hours. 2100 miles gives a JS quotient of 80182.

That was just me and my dog. I think we should categorize team and solo trips separately.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:39 am
GG

Try Paris KY to San Diego in 2 days... 2225 miles/44 hours (basically 2 18hr days plus 8 hours sleep time). That was Lex by himself. The next day we flew to AMS. When we got back to SD, we drove about 20 miles and the water pump broke - still gives me shudders. I think that's 112,514 if I'm doing the arithmetic right.

Our worst trip together was Paris to Winnepeg - via Detroit, Windsor, Toronto, North Bay, to the TransCanada highway, with no stops except for gas, peeing, grabbing food etc. About 1850 miles. 10 hrs to Toronto, and about 24 more to WPG. That seems to be 100,661.

We still have the Voyager minivan that made both those trips (and a lot more). It had 448,8?? miles on it day before yesterday - question marks are because I looked then (thinking of bragging on it here in fact), but didn't check it after I ran an errand in it yesterday. We also have a Caravan with 255K (in round numbers) on it.

All I can say is, I won't drive more than 5 hours at a time these days, and thank ghod for airplanes.

------------------
email on profile
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:25 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
A couple of comments here:

1) It seems to be a lot easier to rack up mi^2/hr if you just do a one-way trip.

I think this is cheating. ;-)

We don't want to measure how fast you can drive, but how far you can drive without resting very long at your destination before driving all the way back home (like Kubla's 36 round trip from Ithaca to Chicago just to see a baseball game).

2) According to my research, the greatest mi^2/hr figure I can locate within the lower 48 is Seattle to Key West, FL. According to mappoint.msn.com, it's 7010 miles and 110 hours round trip. Toss in 10 hours for breaks (two drivers obviously), and I get a virtually unachievable 410,000 mi^2/hr.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 07-31-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.