The FlyerTalk Road Network Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The FlyerTalk Road Network Forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Interstate 11 is new; and I just drove on all of it earlier today.

The highway will eventually link Las Vegas and Phoenix, which are currently the two largest cities in the United States without an Interstate highway directly linking them.
Sorry to hear this. I'll miss the more rural feel of the 2-lane sections of US 93. Then again, it's been 9-10 years since I drove 93 south (and a tad east) of Kingman. Maybe they've turned it into a 4 lane in the interim between 2 lane and Interstate.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Sorry to hear this. I'll miss the more rural feel of the 2-lane sections of US 93. Then again, it's been 9-10 years since I drove 93 south (and a tad east) of Kingman. Maybe they've turned it into a 4 lane in the interim between 2 lane and Interstate.
The entire stretch of 93 between Boulder and Kingman is now four lanes with a wide grassy median, as I drove on it only yesterday.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum

The highway will eventually link Las Vegas and Phoenix, which are currently the two largest cities in the United States without an Interstate highway directly linking them.
That sounds hard to believe. What Interstate highway directly links New York and Los Angeles, both of which are quite a bit larger than either of those? (Obviously, you can get from NYC to LA on interstates, but you can get from Las Vegas to Phoenix on them, specifically I-15 to I-10, too.)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Efrem
That sounds hard to believe. What Interstate highway directly links New York and Los Angeles, both of which are quite a bit larger than either of those? (Obviously, you can get from NYC to LA on interstates, but you can get from Las Vegas to Phoenix on them, specifically I-15 to I-10, too.)
The wikipedia article clarifies that Las Vegas and Phoenix are the two largest "adjacent" cities w/o direct freeway link. Obviously what constitutes "adjacent" is somewhat subjective, but I think you could make a reasonable argument that these two cities would qualify.

And looking at a national map, there aren't too many cases of large cities in the same region that don't have a more-or-less direct freeway connection.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for posting.
I have not yet driven on it; but have you heard of the new Interstate 2 in southern Texas?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It's probably 75% four lane between Kingman and Wickenburg now. The only remaining 2 lane sections are several miles north of Congress and several miles between Wikieup and I-40. There's also a few parts that, while 4 lane, aren't up to interstate standards. The windy bit at the Yavapai/Mohave county line comes to mind.

The stretch between AZ 89 near Wickenburg and AZ 71 near Congress was just completed within the last year. Now work is starting north of Wikieup.

With the increase in traffic and notoriously bad Arizona drivers I-11 can't come soon enough in my opinion. And I'm saying that as someone who routinely takes the scenic route over the interstate.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:21 pm

I have not yet driven on it; but have you heard of the new Interstate 2 in southern Texas?
I first learned about it when I bought my 2016 Rand McNally atlas. Looks like a fairly straight forward east-west highway, though I'm not really a fan of giving a two-digit interstate number to what is basically a local connector freeway (Interstate 97, I'm looking at you!)

In that atlas I also saw for the first time the Interstate 69W, 69C, and 69E weirdness in south Texas. I mean, I understand the whole I-69 "NAFTA Highway" idea, and I suppose the fact that they are building it in bits and pieces is inevitable, but sticking an interstate label on three disparate bits of highway and pretending that they are part of some unified route doesn't strike me as being terribly helpful. But whatever.
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The numbering of Philadelphia-area interstate highways will see some significant changes over the next decade. It's set in motion by construction that will (after nearly a half-century) link I-95 to the PA Turnpike northeast of Philly. Then, I-95 will be "re-routed" onto the PA Turnpike east to the NJ Turnpike and on northward.

This will technically mean that at long last I-95 will be "complete" from Maine to Florida. Of course, that's only a technicality since the un-numbered NJ Turnpike (and a small portion of I-295 near Wilmington) provides an unbroken expressway link between the "northern" and "southern" sections of I-95.

Here's a link:

Work to begin on connecting Pa. Turnpike and I-95

And here's what the current non-interchange looks like from the air. One can only assume that the days are numbered for many of the buildings close to that crossing.
After 61 Years, America’s Busiest Highway Is Almost Complete

An infamous gap in Interstate 95 will finally be closed this summer.
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:44 pm

There's a "new" interstate highway in western Iowa. In fact, "I-880" is the third numerical designation for this highway, which started life as "I-80N" but has spent decades as the northern/eastern leg of I-680.

Now, to end confusion that exists in the Omaha area, the section is being renumbered as I-880.

https://www.news.iowadot.gov/newsand...med-i-880.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.