Best Travel Carry-On?

Best Travel Carry-On?

Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Best Travel Carry-On?

I'm sick and tired of my US Luggage bag that doesn't fit in some of the overheads and def. not under my seat...

However, I'm looking for the perfect bag to fit my 15' Sony laptop as well as the other junk I put into my bag (Bose QC2, etc.) Anyone have any recomendations for the perfect bag to accomodate my laptop, fit under my seat and still be easily swung over my shoulders?

Thanks for your help.

Aloha
Old Dec 20, 2003, 2:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I don't know what the availability in the US is, but I swear by my Karrimor Airport bag (there's a range of them). It's got good comparments and organisers, looks smart, and has a laptop pouch inside. It expands so that it can serve any function from laptop bag to 5-day away bag. At its fullest, it will still pass almost all airlines' carry-on regulations. You can use a hand-hold or choice of shoulder straps (which all fold away). I've had it a year, it flies weekly, gets abused, and there's not even a thread loose. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:53 am

Programs: DL UA
Check out Briggs and Riley at Work collections. I love mine!
http://www.briggs-riley.com/products.htm
Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by njvj:
Check out Briggs and Riley at Work collections. I love mine!</font>
I agree with njvj. I have the Expandable Computer Brief -&gt; (Link) for my Sony Vaio Z1A and it's the absolute best. The non-expandable model is great and a little less cost if you don't need the expandability feature -&gt; (Link) .

The illustrations don't show the well-padded shoulder strap - the strap design distributes the weight very well across the shoulder.

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited Dec 20, 2003).]
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Non-NonRev,

How are the pockets (since I can't find a picture of it with the pockets open)? Could I put, for example, my Bose QC Headphones, buckwheat travel pillow, etc.? I was thinking about getting this TravelPro bag and just buy a separate laptop bag for my VAIO.

Thanks for your help! Aloha
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:01 pm

I had a bag like the one your posted a link to for a while and got frustrated with its weight and stiff edges, making it hard to stuff in things of variable size like my BOSE headphones without putting pressure on them. It sits unused, as I have switched to a black leather Wilson's Leather computer backpack which you can wear on your back (healthier than over the shoulder), over your shoulder, or carry using the extra leather handle on top. I purchased it at the Wilson's store in MSP, you might be able to find it on-line.
I love it -- it accomodates my Powerbook in an included protective case, leaving space for my BOSE either on top there or in the wide top zipper pouch, plus it has two side pouches which hold my iPOD, a Palmpilot, snacks, then there are more side zipper compartments for pens, books, magazines, paper things, passport, and misc whatever you haven't stuffed into your jacket and pants pockets. AND on the bottom I can throw in a lightweight change of clothes (NOT a suit!) OR (not and) a small pillow.

Fully stuffed, it easily fits in all overhead compartments, and under most seats except the weird aisle seats that chop off half your legspace with the metal bars (like on some puddle-jumper planes), or the window seats which chop off your space with IFE equipment.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL UA
Slippahs,
I am not sure of your gender but the At Work Collection For Her from Briggs and Riley has a bag called Montauk Business Tote. It has a middle lap top slot. There is loads of room on either side of it, pockets etc. The lap top slot can even be removed if you want more of a carry all look. If you are a man, then it might look a bit "Eurpoean" as Seinfeld said!

P.s I don't work for Briggs and Riley, I just like the product.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to run down to Macy's tonight to see the bags in person, then maybe purchase one from Ebags.

Mahalo Nui Loa and Mele Kalikimaka!
(Thank you very much and Merry Christmas)!

Aloha
Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:08 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
My main carry on is a backpack/bookbag made by REI...I think its a great carryon- I have a 15" laptop as well, I put that into a flexible foa4UWm shell made by Case Logic and put that into the main compartment and it fits fine...I have tons of room for other stuff too...Im not a huge fan of rollaboards so the backpack is a perfect solution for me...and even fully loaded I can usually get it under a coach seat...

N674UW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.