Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I really need to see some Alps/Mountain scenery!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Location: newyork london paris munich everybodys talking about mmm pop musik
Programs: UA, QF

I've been to Europe in summer, spring, fall etc. But never really in the Winter. One thing I have always wanted to see is the Alps, or some large snowy mountainous range either flying over them, or passing through them via train. I'd be originating in Paris, so that is where I would start this.
Does anybody have any suggestions on spectacular scenery to/from Paris that I could be in a train, and go through some really beautiful mountain ranges? I'd also like to fly over them to/from Paris, but that probably is secondary in terms of importance as I'd rather be up close and personal by train.

I would only spend a day or two in the 'final' destination, so I'm not necessarily looking for any particular activity, nor have any particular preference, but would actually prefer a smaller town with a homey feel. Large city okay too (Milan, Munich, Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy is fine too). The main point of the journey is to travel via train and pass thru mountain ranges and see some great scenery. I am not necessarily a 'cold weather' person and do not ski or do snow things, so I wont have more than what is necessary for a day or two in the 30's. Eating and drinking and cafes are really what I would probably accomplish in that time. Sight seeing would really not be that important. The train journey and view is the main point of the trip. I would fly back to Paris or train back to Paris depending on the daylight train schedules.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Language is not of importance, I do speak French, German and Italian so I have no preference. Even staying in France is fine, but I have a feeling some of the most beautiful mountain ranges is in Switzerland (although I am not sure). I am looking at anywhere between February and March. Would snow still be viewable? Thanks!!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 3:05 am

Programs: LH FTL
I recommend the Glacier Express (http://www.glacierexpress.ch/e/) and the regular trains from zurich to milan (via chiasso). I had several great trips on those trains.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:39 am

Absolutely! The Glacier Express is grand. You might also consider a collection of small train runs. I once did a seven train sequence Lugano-Locarno-Domodossola(I)-Brig-Interlaken-Grindelwald. (I am missing a stop, that's only six.) There were some tight connnections, but not to worry. It's the Swiss railways. If the schedule says you have three minutes, then you have three minutes. Enjoy!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:46 pm

If you fly from Milan to Newark you will probably fly over the Alps and if you do, be prepared for THE MOST AMAZING view of the Alps. We did it a few years ago and it's just breathtaking.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:40 pm

In my opinion the most dramatic winter mountain range in the world is the Dolomites. This means Cortina to Val Gardena in Italy. The closest major air gateway would either be Zurich or [my favorite] Venice. A bit far from Paris but worth the trip.

If you fly from Paris to Lyon, France you'll fly over the Alps. Won't get you to Italy but you'll see snowcaps from the air.

Good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A few years back I took the train from Milano to Zurich in December - just a spectacular trip.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've done a few trips, usually with a Swiss Rail Pass, including the Glacier Express. My personal favorite is the train from Brig up to Zermatt. There are some good, wide hiking trails up there, and they're accessible from the top of Zermatt quite easily.

You can also take the train from Chur over to St. Moritz, passing through Davos and Klosters. There are some small towns around St. Moritz that connect with trails, again an easy hike if you're out for the day. The one advantage here is that you can train back if you are too tired to walk back, or it's snowing too hard.

I visited Rudi last year and went skiing in and around Wengen. I can't say I noticed much in the way of hiking trails in that direction, but the view from the valley floor in Interlaken down below is well worth the stop. You could always go up and down by train, though this is one of the routes not covered on a Swiss Rail pass, though you would get a discount (to the Jungfrau or Kleine Scheidegg up above).
Old Dec 15, 2003, 3:07 am

Programs: BA
If your timetable only runs to a day trip between cities take the train from Basle (connect from France/Germany) to Milan, over the Gotthard main line. The spectacular part is the nothern ascent to the Gotthard tunnel from Erstfeld to Goschenen, circling to gain height.

If you have a day for a Swiss trip, everyone has their own favourites but mine would be to go up from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch. The snow up there is astounding even in May (yes, ski resorts closed after the season ends but overwhelmed by snow!). It costs a lot of money for the trip; it is worth every penny.

As described the Swiss railways have amazing close connections all along, that always work. The only thing is you never see the station or the town (or get a chance for a coffee), it's off one train, the next one is alongside. But as the national timetable repeats every hour you can always take an hour out when you need to.

If you have a few days in Switzerland there is a "Swiss Holiday Ticket" that takes you everywhere in the country, even the town buses.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:16 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

As mentioned here Switzerland it in my eyes the most interesting European country if you like travelling by train. Although it is quite a distance from Paris , Graubünden with its Rhätische Bahn should be of special interest (I recommend flying to Zürich an than by train to Chur)

The Bernina Express Chur – Tirano passes the Albula Pass; the part between Tefencastel and Preda (before you go through the Albula tunnel) is a highlight, the train passes a small valley and the uphill route is 400 m on 8 km.

Between Bergün and Preda, the is in winter sliding on the Passtraße a big event and in summer there is the Bahnhistorischer Lehrpfad (a hiking track along the railway with several informations.

Bergün, click on Bahnerlebnis Albula.

Btw, what about TGV to Geneva, further on with the SBB to the Furka Oberalp Route to Graubünden, perhaps further on to St. Moritz and back with the Glacier Express to Zermatt / Brig and back to Geneva?

Jan

P.S. Sorry for my English
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Location: newyork london paris munich everybodys talking about mmm pop musik
Programs: UA, QF
Thanks all for the great suggestions. I will take a look at all those.

BTW, distance to/from Paris is really not a factor, that is simply the city I am spending time in and would start this journey to/from there. I just do not want a round trip train journey, so I would fly to/from the final destination and work my way to/from Paris no matter how long the train trip is. (dont know if that all makes sense, the to/from parts of it all...)
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:57 am

If you can wing it - fly to Zurich and then take the train to Zermatt!

AMAZING views during this part of the Glacier Express.

And a bonus, take a day skiing at Zermatt, the home of the Matterhorn - what's more Alps than that? FWIW there are no cars in Zermatt, it's a pedestrian town with a few electric golf-cart like taxis. I wasn't able to explore all of it during a 20 day stay last year and the restraunts and grills are top notch. I can't recommend it enough - particularly for a good decompressive get-away. AND it was cheaper than my pal's 9 day ski vacation in Utah - including airfare from Houston.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I can answer any questions you might have about train travel to / from St. Moritz, as I do that often.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
www.verbier.ch

www.verbier.com

www.televerbier.ch

nice views of the Grand Combin and the Mont-Blanc massif...
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:35 pm

Kincaid:

You might consider getting yourself to Zürich (via train (TGV/SBB) or air) and then heading down to Zermatt on the rails. You can take the cable car lifts up to Klein Matterhorn, which affords a magnificent view of the Matterhorn and other Alps. To return to Paris, I'd recommend coming back to Lausanne (perhaps making a stop to walk around Montreux a bit on the way through). You can catch the TGV in Lausanne back to Paris, and that trip'll take about 4 hours. You can also catch the TGV to Paris from Genève, but it'll add a (boring and expensive) 45 minutes to the Swiss part of your journey.

Riverstyx

P.S.--My first post...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.