Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When do hotels release unsold rooms for peak periods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I tried doing a search and didn't see this discussed. I apologize if it's a duplicate.

I know a lot of times hotels have group bookings that change or fall thru. How close to the travel date do they release these for sale?

I was trying to figure a good time to bid on Priceline and thought this would be good information to factor in.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:23 pm

I don't know if there's a fixed rule. If you search on the hotel site, you might see "Sold Out", which often just means they have reserved spaces for the possible conference business. If you keep looking and the "Sold Out" is gone (or you start seeing the hotel offered by other brokers), that's a possible sign that it might have gone to Priceline. Alternatively, if you see a sudden rate decline, that might mean that too. But no way to tell that I know of.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I just thought maybe 7 or 14 days or something might be a 'release date'... Thanks tho.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think it varies by property and type of event. I know the local properties have a lot of control in these cases.

I've booked groups of 25-50 rooms where unused parts of the "block" were returned to general availability 7 days before the event. I've also been on a committee for a large event where we were able to confirm the final guest list 48 hours prior to the stay. (This was one where we probably filled up over half of the hotel.)

So the only real advice I have is: the local group sales office at the property might have useful data for you, but the website or 1-800 number probably will not.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:02 pm

from experience, I know the properties often block out the rooms from central reservations, and you have to go through them directly. IF you are asking when do they release rooms back to central reservations, I would guess only when they fear they won't sell the rooms themselves. I expect the parent company charges a pretty penny for each reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.