Search

HELP! Forgot DL; Had to Cancel RC, Now Need to get from San Jose to SFO Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
HELP! Forgot DL; Had to Cancel RC, Now Need to get from San Jose to SFO Airport

Realized (the hard way) when I got to LAX that I forgot my drivers license. Besides the difficulty of actually getting on the plane (who would thunk I'd say thank goodness for caps & the extra search!), I had a rental car that I had to cancel.

So, a friend is picking me up at SFO & taking me to San Jose tonight, where I have mtgs & bkfst mtg, but can't bring me back up tomorrow morning.

Is there a shuttle from San Jose Airport (or anywhere in the SJ area) that will take me back to SFO, where I'll then have to take the Marin Express to Tiburon to attend the wedding I actually flew up for?

Any input accepted. Will check email later tonight & also in the a.m. Hopefully there is or it's gonna be one expensive cab ride!

PS - realized over Monterey that my DL is in a skirt pocket of the skirt I wore to the Warner Bros lot when I attended the screening of Mystic River (excellent movie, btw). I put it in my pocket after going through the nth screening (and you thought TSA was bad!), and forgot to put it back in wallet & haven't needed it since. Now added to my pre-airport routine - check for ID!

------------------
Sharon
Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Well, if you are in CA, you can claim that you are an illegal immigrant, and apply for a new driver's license without having to show any proof. I do believe some DMV's are open on Saturday.

------------------
"If life doesn't offer a game worth playing, then invent a new one."
-Anthony J. D'Angelo
Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Check your e-mail
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:30 pm

2 options.

South Bay Flyer [operated by Serendipity] used to offer regular coach transportation between the two airports [1-888-goflyer].

If that doesn't work try Super Shuttle [415-659-2575] which will pick you up anywhere in the Bay Area [so you don't have to commute to SJC] and take you to SFO.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, we're almost leading parallel lives. I too forgot a critical piece of paper which allows me to rent cars. But the kind people at Avis volunteered to drive me anywhere, so I took them up on a ride to Santa Clara. then today I got a lift to local VTA (Valley Transit Association) stop, I took the express bus (#180) to the Fremont Bart station for $3. From there it was an easy ride on the train to the city.

So from SJC you could take public transportation to the Fremont BART station and get to the City or to SFO for $7.25
Old Oct 11, 2003, 6:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There are others FAR more expert on South Bay than I (I always get lost there), another suggestion might be to get to a CalTrains station on Sunday morning, take it to the Milbrae station, and then transfer to the BART to SFO.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
There's a shuttle from SJC to the Santa Clara CalTrain stop and then you can take that to the shuttle bus to SFO.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is currently NO Caltrain service on weekends, so don't take that route tomorrow (Sunday). There are also NO express busses, so getting to Fremont Bart, also as suggested above, is time-consuming, and then you travel way out of the way, via SF, to SFO.

I'd go along with those who suggest Supershuttle, probably around $30-40 to SFO. The Serendipity web page no longer lists the South Bay flyer service; that doesn't sound promising.

Presumably you're not interested in the cheapest weekend connection, but here it is: From SJC, take the free VTA shuttle to the Caltrain station where you catch a 22 VTA bus northbound to the county line. There you can transfer to the SamTrans 'express' bus to SFO. This will take at least 2 1/2 hours for what is a 45 minute drive by car. The 22 can be caught in downtown San Jose, where it originates before reaching the Santa Clara train station.

This sounds pretty painful, so drop me an email if the earlier emailers didn't solve your problem, and I'll see what I can do to help on Sunday.

(Edited after doing a bit of further fact checking.)

[This message has been edited by RichardInSF (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks all for the info, and for those that offered to give me a ride if needed. Much appreciate it.

Was able to get a ride to SFO in time to catch the Marin Airporter to Seminary road & then a cab from there to Tiburon. Will reserve the cab/airporter tomorrow to get to SFO (and reverse the getting checked in at airport w/ no id).

Staying at Waters Edge hotel in Tiburon - nice place. If I had wireless I could be doing this on the balcony overlooking the marina/city. Did see the Blue Angels show.

Back to work - again, thanks for all your help. Cheers.

------------------
Sharon
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surrounded by three airport choices, I wonder how Marin business folk put up with the lack of a commercial airfield in their area. Does the extra peace and quiet justifies it? Does George Lucas use a personal helicopter?

Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is anyone flying out of Santa Rosa now? Seem to recall United Express dropped that route about 2 years back. That would be a great alternate airport if it could be ran profitably with a commuter airline.

Speaking of George Lucas, I had the opportunity to go to Skywalker Ranch a few years ago for a fire dispatchers meeting. Didn't see any helicopters, but the do have their own maroon fire trucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.