Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Greece/Athens in November?

Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Just found out the other day I may have to go to Athens on business for two days the first week in November. My partner wants to fly in and out, but I'd like to spend a few days assuming the weather is alright on the islands.

Has any flyertalker been there in November? Is there any place nearby that I can be off the beaten track and yet still have a bit of comfort?
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:38 pm

Weather may be mild, but most islands switch to the winter schedule in October: a few normal ferries per week (no fast ships), with most hotels and restaurants closed.

Temperatures on the islands might average ~15C, a bit more if you are lucky. Crete can be as warm as 25C on a good day.

Pick one of the major islands, with air service, for a short trip.

Get an idea of schedules at:

http://www.gtpnet.com/
http://www.dolphins.gr/HFDWeb/en/HFDHome.aspx (now down)

Keep in mind boats can be cancelled without notice.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was on Crete during the second week of October a few years ago and many shops and restaurants, & clubs were about to shut down for the winter. The weather was perfect and there were few tourists at that time. It was heaven! As for November, there will be a few things open as Crete has a fairly sizable year-round population, but most touristy things will be shut down.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:19 am
SK

If the weather is indeed good, I suggest you try some of the islands close to Athens served by hydrofoils, e.g. Hydra or Spetses. They are popular through most of the year for weekend visits.
Another place you can visit is the south coast, all the way from Glyfada to Sounion. Though most greeks don't swimm in the sea after September, the water temperature in November would be about what it is in Coastal MA or ME during the summer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.